Microwave clear to warm?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Microwave clear to warm??

We were talking about warming the clear now that it's getting cold .
I have an old microwave which still works and was wondering about using that to warm it up in. Anybody use one?

REALLY bad Idea?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I can't think of a reason why anything would happen but it gives me the heebeegeebees. I have seen guys use a five gallon bucket with hot water to warm up a gallon of clear (and the hardener) with good success. Hopefully Barry will chime in on this one.

Brian
Old 11-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Keep the clear/hardener in the house until you need it..............unless you aren't paying your heat bills.....
Old 11-19-2005, 10:15 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I dont know about that.. Doesnt a microwave heat from the inside out.. Like you might get the center of the clear too hot and maybe some of the good stuff gas out before you spray??

This is a chemist question for sure.. Maybe it would be fine if it never really got hot, but some microwaves heat different all the time... IE old ones especially
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Well you sure would need to take the lid off, but metal containers are not supposed to be in microwaves. My thinking is the little fan that runs in the micro-wave has to have a set of brushes and brushes make little sparks and that clear is going to have fumes that could ignite. I do not think this is a good idea at all. I like the idea that someone gave about warming it up in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water. You are going to have to have the building or spray booth that you are painting in good and warm anyway so it seems like if the clear was in there while you were getting the room warmed up that it would be warm also.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoKing
I dont know about that.. Doesnt a microwave heat from the inside out.. Like you might get the center of the clear too hot and maybe some of the good stuff gas out before you spray??
You don't watch the Mythbusters on Discovery do you. They debunked that myth, it doesn't heat from the inside out. It is easy to prove, put a roast in there, cook it for five or ten minutes and cut it in half, raw in the middle.

Brian
Old 11-19-2005, 10:51 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i keep paint in an old fridge. never gets very cold in there. of course it does'nt get that cold here . i just always take broken fridge's. make great shelves. keeps paper from rolling on you.i've got one for welding stuff too.

only thing i've ever seen is a guy that used a heat wrap on paint in the winter. never tried it.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Quote:
Keep the clear/hardener in the house until you need it
LOL.. Poncho, We have a deal, NO house stuff IN the shop and NO shop stuff IN the house.

Most fans in any appliance are skelton frame,impedence type motors,or the new one's are using sealed DC servo motors,no brush's. But I get your point about sparkage.

I was refering to already mixed clear in the PLASTIC paint mix cup. Yeah, a metal can could be a VERY bad thing.

The discussion was more about better flow out even IF the booth was say,70*. Bob use's his hot water radiator and Jim didn't really say what he used.
Quote:
when you mix the clear, feel the side of the cup. if it feels cool then its probably too cold. i like the cup to feel warm, 90deg maybe. you'll notice a hugh difference in atomization.
Quote:
Jim, I've preheated many products including epoxy, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. In the winter months I heat the shop with a wood boiler and just set my mixed product on the water jacket to warm up for 15-20 minutes before spraying. It usually gets to about 100-120 degrees. Something that's not in the tech sheets and it sure isn't a requirement, but definately helps the product spray and cure. There is definately a difference in viscosity

Last edited by Bee4Me; 11-19-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Just got out of shower and every mussel in this old body hurts bad.
I have given this about 2 minutes thought and cannot answer in less than about three pages. I'd rather go out to eat,

So in short no Fr--- way.

Asking for problems across the board! Some products more than others.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

How bout stealing barrys heating pad to warm that clear. Although they don't get overly hot do they? Must suck getting old, I already have enough creaks in my body when waking up in the morning. I have a kerosene heater to warm my garage and just stick the cup nearby for awhile.
Some Epsom salt and warm tub, although guys don't really take baths do they unless a women is involved in some way.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:04 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

BUCKET OF HOT WATER FOR THE WIN

throw a large pot of water on the stove and get it boiling, take the pot out to the garage and set the galon of paint in, pop the lid off so it doesnt build pressure, and then just give it a stir every so often to make sure the paint is well warmed thru and thru before you spray

edit: oh yea, peel the label off first if your not gonna use the full gallon, that way its not destroyed in the water
Old 11-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

well i just got back from a weeks vacation and saw this post. very interesting, i never really thought about it but from how unevenly a microwave heats i wouldn't do it. to answer your question bee, i use 2 methods. i will take the clear and activator and shine a halogen work lamp on it for 1/2 hour before i begin or if i forget i will mix the clear, put it in the gun then stir it in the cup while putting a heat gun on it (metal cup) for a minute or two. of you use the lamp method be sure to crack open the lids so there is no pressure buildup.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Well, I gues that's settled.
Got to ask to find out.
I didn't think too much of it either but you never know someday's.

Pizza anyone?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

You know, I always warm up spray bombs when it's cold, but I never thought of warming up paint before gunning it... Very interesting!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Try wrapping it in a heating Pad..on high a few hours before you need It..

Microwaves are Dangerous! (I have blindness in my right eye from a 2.4 Ghz 30 watt wave guide From an ENG ..Electronic News Gathering Van..) and I CAN TESTIFY Microwaves burn from the inside out..On Fatty Material.

If what your Trying to warm in a microwave has a metallic or flake base..you'll find it next door..before your Done.

Microwaves generally run at 800 Mhz, at 600 to 1200 Watts at the Klystron, (It took A lot less to Damage my Eye..) So Their nothing to fool around with.

In addition to that, you have no base to set up heating times and ranges...and do you REALLY want to start with a guess?

Doc
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.