Are mid 70's - 80's American cars valuable or collectible? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Are mid 70's - 80's American cars valuable or collectible?

I grew up in the 80's, and I worked with an ex drag racer, plus all my friends were into hot rods and muscle cars. I read car magazines regularly as well. Through all these sources, I learned how cool the American cars of the 60's- early 70's were. Many of them were beautiful, and they had major performance.

But then, the muscle car era came to a screeching halt, and by '72-'74, it all ended. Plus, the cool body styles ended, and the cars became bloated, plastic filled, heavy, slow, ugly lumps, with almost zero performance.

As a direct result, every source I ever saw or heard said that these cars would NEVER be collectible or hold any real value as collectibles. At least by knowledgeable collectors. Age and/or rarity is not the main factor in determining whether something is valuable. It also must be desirable!
I also have yet to mention that the mid-late 70's was probably the era when American car quality was at its all time lowest....

So for all these many reasons, I didnt ever think I'd see people asking a ton of cash for these cars at any time in the future.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, I picked up an Auto Trader Classics magazine, and read it on the way down to N.C. for Easter. After a while, I got to a part of the magazine where there were many 70's cars listed. I read laughable lines such as "It has the Hi-Po 305", or "'79 Corvette with Hi performance 350". One even said, "'79 Camaro with real, documented 4 speed!" Wow!!!

Once I finished laughing and composed myself, I then got to the prices.....
One guy was asking $25,000 for a '73 4 door Impala, with a 400! Then I saw multiple people asking $16,000 - $20,000 for '74- '79 Camaros! There was a guy selling a late 70's Corvette for $22,000, and saying that it has the "performance package"....... Hah!

I didnt know whether to feel offended by this, or confused, but I just cant understand why anyone would spend this kind of cash on one of these cars. There were cheaper 60's muscle cars in this same book(real muscle cars!)

So I hope I didnt offend anyone with this post, and I can certainly understand why someone would buy one of these cars for a low price and use them as race cars, but I can understand spending a lot of $$ on them as collectibles.......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 AM

yup

ive noticed that too there are some that i like but i wouldnt spend a ton on em i picked up an 81 firebird back in 06 for 2k and that was my limit and it was in good condition then . i always wanted one since i was a kid when i do the paint and interior i dont plan on spending more than 8 to 10k on it but not more than that for a driver. there are some ppl out there that will and can spend that kind of cash on a toy
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

There will always be a nostalgia thing with any car a fellow grows up with. Now, trying to save one with all the plastics, gizmos and gadgets for smog, finding someone to work on the smog crap with all the hoses and trash before computers, that may be another hard one to find. I pop the hood on a car built after 76 and shudder, I just don't want to go through the hassle. I hate them..lol. IMO, there wasn't an American car built after 1972 that's worth anything more than scrap iron prices.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 AM

yeah thats true im just glad the things made out of real metal not like the crap they put out now. when i was in school they wouldnt let us work on anything that was older than ten years. i thought that was crap cuz everyone there just wanted to learn how to restore
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

As far as I am concerned the mid eighties G bodys by GM are. ( Monte Carlo , Cutlass supreme etc,)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Any one heard of the 86-87 Buick Grand National? T-Type? Turbo T?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:00 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I believe they're very few mainstream cars from the mid 70's to mid 90's that are going to be worth anything worth mentioning in the future. These cars still bring real money and will be worth alot in 20 years. 93 Mustang Cobras, the last gen RX7, last gen Supras, GN's. I'm probably missing a few. My reasoning is that the crap that was made in the 70s 80s and even 90s is what made the cars from the 60s-early 70s so wanted. Now they're are lots of great fast cars being made, and there has been for a little over 10 years. So who wants to think about a LT1 camaro or Corvette when you can get one with a ls3?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
..... IMO, there wasn't an American car built after 1972 that's worth anything more than scrap iron prices.
Geez, you don't need to sugar coat it. I agree with every word, however there are some that will always have a sort of cult following. Corvettes, Buick Grand Nationals, etc. but they are the exception for those years. Most of the 70s-90s American built cars were piles of junk and history will look back at that era as a sad time for the automotive industry.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Don't retreat.... just reload." - Sarah Palin
Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i would say,
collectible-yes
valuable-not many

i really like some of the 70-80s cars, but that was the time period that i was growing up
so i think it only makes sense that i would like some of them.

however, most would have to be heavily modified to get my really get my attention

i hade a late 70s malibu that i really liked

Last edited by matts37chev; 05-06-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty 87
Any one heard of the 86-87 Buick Grand National? T-Type? Turbo T?

Yeah, thats one of the very few exceptions to the rule(GN).... They will/are probably worth some money.

I worked with a guy back in '95 who owned a Grand National, but he would NEVER let anyone else drive it. But we rode in it a lot, and he got on it a lot, and it was a pretty quick car for the times. I used to see a LOT of them down at Cecil County dragway on friday nights in the 80's, and many were modified and ran in the 11's and 12's......

Corvettes of the mid-late 70's were another story though.... I had a neighbor from '93-'95 who owned some special edition late 70's corvette, with big lettering on the sides. He thought it was god's gift to the world. He was bragging about it every time he was around! He bought it thinking that it would be super valuable some day. He had never driven a really fast car, so he thought that this 170 horsepower corvette was fast! One time he took me for a ride in it, and he got on it as we came off the off ramp onto I-95, and he punched it, and it was pretty pathetic......Then he asked "she's pretty fast huh?" I didnt want to make the guy feel bad, so I reluctantly agreed, but I've been in 4 cylinder cars that were faster......

In comparison to that, I met another guy in '91 who owned a beautiful 1967 Corvette with a 327, and he took me for a ride onto route 1, and then punched it, and unlike the late 70's Corvette, it actually was fast and fun!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Comet where in DE arother? I think we're really close to each other.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.