mid engine vega? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

mid engine vega?

I've had my 74 Vega v8 sitting around for a while and i think its time to make it mid engine. what do you guys think? Yes, I know I'm insane but I like it that way

thinking about doing a ground up frame and use a Pantera transaxle, engine undetermined. This is going to be an insane project but I want something that no one else has and will perform.

Going to start drawing some plans up soon. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Makes sense to me, I like different. Put these guys on your list of people to talk to.....you may change your mind about the Pantera.....
Renegade Hybrids
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

I'm trying to remember popular axles from the past, for a swap like that...

Mid sixties Corvair flipped upside down?

Late sixties Toronado FWD W/Turbo 400?

What others are viable?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Porsche G50 may be the strongest unit, but it will also probably come the most dear from a cost standpoint and that's only the transaxle. Then you have to begin engineering and buying all the other costly stuff to make it work.
Rancho High Performance Transaxles and Transmissions | RanchoTransaxles.com

I've always been a cheap SOB, so have figured out how to do stuff differently and inexpensively most of the time. I was just thinking, what if a guy used a complete FWD engine/trans/diff/suspension unit from a late model vehicle and placed it amidships in the Vega? From the late 90's until the end of production in 2004, Cadillac produced the Seville with a 4.6 liter, DOHC V8 that spec'd out at about 275 horsepower and 300 ft/lbs of torque and 4-speed auto. That wouldn't make a killer acceleration vehicle out of the Vega, but corner-carving road-handling (with some aftermarket help on the front suspension) and fuel economy ought to be outa sight and it should be a blast to drive. The '98 to '03 STS model was rated at 300 hp. I'd put the car on a lift and make a cradle around the powertrain/suspension before I excised it from the car.
Cadillac Seville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I might begin by searching for a complete car that has been crunched in the rear or side and use everything out of it, including all the wiring and electronics.
Once you find a donor, get all the factory manuals for it so you aren't flyin' blind......
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Last edited by techinspector1; 04-30-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM

could use a corvette diff,but if you have a corvette why use the Vega?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Packaging is the problem, both width and length. W/ a transaxle such as from a Pantera etc. the engine is too far forward, it would be necessary to move the driver position so far up that your face would be against the windshield (you're already pretty close in a stock Vega), then where does the steering wheel go? Only alternative would be to stretch the wheelbase rearward, which wouldn't do much for the attractiveness. With a transverse setup things are too wide for the narrow H-body, there's not enough you could shorten the axles to not have it looking funny, i.e. rr tires sticking too far out compared to the front. Toronado transaxles have been used, same problem...axles have to be so short the suspension doesn't work any more.

The Toro's been done a couple times I've seen. Was behind one on the freeway and he appeared to be at the threshold of control...at 55. Although it looked good at the show we were both going to.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but all car designs are a compromise somewhere. Mid-engine in a Vega is strong on "neat-O", weak on practicality.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
I'm trying to remember popular axles from the past, for a swap like that...

Mid sixties Corvair flipped upside down?

Late sixties Toronado FWD W/Turbo 400?

What others are viable?
I don't know about flipping it but spinning it around so the motor is in the front works fine because the corvair ran in reverse! This has been a very popular transaxle for years because of this.

Brian
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbach View Post
I've had my 74 Vega v8 sitting around for a while and i think its time to make it mid engine. what do you guys think? Yes, I know I'm insane but I like it that way

thinking about doing a ground up frame and use a Pantera transaxle, engine undetermined. This is going to be an insane project but I want something that no one else has and will perform.

I love the thought, I built a mid engine 48 Chevy pickup years ago, I did the mid engine idea.

There have been a few Vega mid engine cars, one was a popular wheel stander as I remember.

Here are a few.

This one has a 500 inch Cad, I LOVE it!

CHEVY VEGA PANEL WAGON PRO STREET 500 CADILLA For Sale

I remember one that had the transaxle moved back changing the wheelbase and moving the wheels closer to the rear end, I thought it looked cool.

Brian
Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Olds Tornado or Caddy Eldorado would probably be your best bet.....with a custom built frame of course
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

We were asked to look at doing a transaxle for the GT40 kitcar market and/or the ford GT race cars. We worked on a design using a Ford 8.8 axle and our Muncie based geartrain (essentially a clean sheet design of a McKee transaxle). Heres some stuff we found out along the way.

The G50 works but you have to 'flip' the internals and replacement parts are expensive and sometimes not redily available. Theres also an Audi transaxle that some people use for both the GT kitcars and as a Pantera replacement. The problem with a lot of the modern manual transaxles are they're either too small in terms of strength or their gear spreads are ridiculous for performance (a small V6 for example needs a 3.50 1st gear and a .75 OD First gear would be useless in a track application, so why carry the mass if you dont have to) . Theres also some minor issues for shifting it (rods vs cable shifter) and packaging.

Anyway; the answer isn't far away for you; Use a V8 Archie Fiero kit. Use the 'Muncie' manual gearbox version; they can take a pretty hefty amount of power. And, V8 Archie has kits for 3800SC; V8s and Northstar V8s.

How to Build a Hybrid MY8/M17 Muncie, and the Differences Between the Two - Pennock's Fiero Forum

Now get the sawzall.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Someone mentioned the corvair. I seem to recall fibre fab using this approach in their Valkerie. They employed a much-strengthened input shaft to handle the V8 torque. You might try to find some history on this. Just a thought.

PatM
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
Someone mentioned the corvair. I seem to recall fibre fab using this approach in their Valkerie. They employed a much-strengthened input shaft to handle the V8 torque. You might try to find some history on this. Just a thought.

PatM
You know Pat when I was a kid,the dream build I never got to was the Crown Corvair.The good thing about the wt distribution was how they drove like they where on railroad tracks,but it was also the bad thing how hard they hooked.I do remember a custom input shaft,but anything over 300hp tore the ring gear out of them.I do remember afew built with a BBC,ridiculous over wt concoctions.A slightly warmed over 350 was considered too much for the ring and pinion without any solutions.

Gezz that has to have been 40 yrs ago.But that is what I remember.

Did alittle search and this is what I came up with.Page through the article with the arrows on the bottom of the page.

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/crown1.html

Last edited by 1Gary; 05-02-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbach View Post

Sorry gjback, I have a pantera. Ever price a ZF 5 speed?? out of a pantera. It will only mate to a 351C engine. No offence, but your first post proves you are a noob. The pantera is intirely different than a rusted out vega. My pantera is a mid engined high HP car and the rear suspention is mated to the transaxel.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

T 10 -Halibrand

Years ago my brother had a print shop in
Calif and one time when I was there He was printing sales info for a New casting for an IRS that used the internals from a T 10 4 speed and halibrand quick change rear end. I don't know how many were made, sold and if the company still makes limited production runs.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron View Post
Sorry gjback, I have a pantera. Ever price a ZF 5 speed?? out of a pantera. It will only mate to a 351C engine. No offence, but your first post proves you are a noob. The pantera is intirely different than a rusted out vega. My pantera is a mid engined high HP car and the rear suspention is mated to the transaxel.
That's a little harsh don't you think? He is throwing this thought out there of his dream car, a very do-able dream car. He hasn't priced the ZF, so what? I could get into the rust problems in Panteras poor design but I won't, lighten up, not everyone can afford a Pantera, or even wants one.

Brian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
1Gary (05-02-2013), AutoGear (05-02-2013), vinniekq2 (05-02-2013)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.