Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Mid-length headers for 59-64 impala's? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mid-length-headers-59-64-impalas-245625.html)

Motochris 10-03-2013 10:42 AM

Mid-length headers for 59-64 impala's?

I put full length headers on my new engine build...and they suck as far as ground clearance goes. The car is fairly low and the headers are just way too low. I've got to change them out to something that doesn't hang under the car. Shorty's will obviously work, but I figure a mid-length would be better for performance. Haven't spotted any yet (other than for LS swaps), though I'll be searching around more today.
Anybody know of a set of mid-lengths for a SBC?

techinspector1 10-03-2013 10:57 AM

How about full-length fenderwell headers?

Motochris 10-03-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1808473)
How about full-length fenderwell headers?

I haven't seen those either. Not to mention... if they involve pulling the fenderwell out, I wouldn't want to do that.
My current headers are the Hedman Elites. Really very nice, but they routed them too low. They could be about 1.5" higher than they are and still clear everything. Currently with two people in the car, the exhaust flange is between 2-3" off the ground. By far the lowest part of the car and sucks to be so watchful of everything.

No question.. I'll bash the hell out of these at some point. I figure it's better to replace them now while I can still sell them for something.

techinspector1 10-03-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motochris (Post 1808545)
I haven't seen those either. Not to mention... if they involve pulling the fenderwell out, I wouldn't want to do that.
My current headers are the Hedman Elites. Really very nice, but they routed them too low. They could be about 1.5" higher than they are and still clear everything. Currently with two people in the car, the header flange is between 2-3" off the ground. By far the lowest part of the car and sucks to be so watchful of everything.

No question.. I'll bash the hell out of these at some point. I figure it's better to replace them now while I can still sell them for something.

Or....you could be resourceful and weld some 1/4" plate baffles off the frame structure to sit in front of the headers and defend them against bashing. I wouldn't let a little thing like ground clearance force me to get rid of a set of quality headers.

RWENUTS 10-03-2013 11:52 AM

I have a set of these on my truck. I think they'll fit yours.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...del/c20-pickup

Motochris 10-03-2013 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1808561)
Or....you could be resourceful and weld some 1/4" plate baffles off the frame structure to sit in front of the headers and defend them against bashing. I wouldn't let a little thing like ground clearance force me to get rid of a set of quality headers.

Your comment made me go out and actually measure. With nobody in the car... they are right at 2" off the ground. I'm gonna guess close to an inch or so with people in it.

"Little thing like ground clearance"....there's a limit to that.

RWENUTS 10-03-2013 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here's a pic or two!
Ceramic coated.
12 years old now!

ap72 10-03-2013 12:08 PM

check the clearance around the headers and modify them, the mounting surface, or something else to raise them up a little.

Motochris 10-03-2013 04:25 PM

I'm giving in for now, can't find anything that will work... ordered some shorty's. I plan to take the car to Gene Winfields on the 12th and don't want to drive it there with these headers on it. Don't think it'll make it without destroying them. :(

64SS327 10-03-2013 07:46 PM

I bet mine are close to the same as yours and I am running Hooker Super Comps. They could easily make them an inch or two higher if they had a person modify the inner fender which wouldn't be that hard to do. It sure would beat having them hang so low.

This is the first summer I've had the headers on the car. I've scraped them a couple of times and had one major impact only going a mile or two out of a parking lot that had a bad lip at the exit. Ouch! I didn't wreck anything but it didn't sound very good.

I'm thinking of making a new set of headers this winter out of stainless with a few modifications to make them fit better with more ground clearance. It shouldn't be too hard if I go bythe Super Comps that are on the car and adjust them to suite my needs.

GMCTRUCKS 10-03-2013 08:12 PM

I seen some SS ones on ebay.

Motochris 10-04-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCTRUCKS (Post 1809897)
I seen some SS ones on ebay.

I was all over EBAY yesterday. Only midlength I saw were for the LS conversion.
I bought a set off ebay about 2pm...I already have them!

Who knows what I end up with eventually.... if I can't sell the full length ones for much, maybe I'll look at modifying them to fit.

Motochris 10-04-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64SS327 (Post 1809809)
I bet mine are close to the same as yours and I am running Hooker Super Comps. They could easily make them an inch or two higher if they had a person modify the inner fender which wouldn't be that hard to do. It sure would beat having them hang so low.

This is the first summer I've had the headers on the car. I've scraped them a couple of times and had one major impact only going a mile or two out of a parking lot that had a bad lip at the exit. Ouch! I didn't wreck anything but it didn't sound very good.

I'm thinking of making a new set of headers this winter out of stainless with a few modifications to make them fit better with more ground clearance. It shouldn't be too hard if I go bythe Super Comps that are on the car and adjust them to suite my needs.

I have to drive a mile of rocky dirt road each way to leave my house. That's my biggest issue. Just crawling thru sections trying not to screw the headers up. Just not worth the headache and potential issue of catching them on something far from home.

jokerZ71 10-04-2013 04:41 PM

I tried to refind the article so I could post a link,but,no such luck.The article tested shortys,mid-length,& longtubes on a dyno.The shortys were the type that use stock exhaust hookups w/ 2 1/2" collector.The mid-length had a standard 3" 3 bolt header collector.I can't remember the actual gains from each offhand.Naturally the longtubes made a lot more torque & power,but,only @ higher RPMs.At lower RPMs there wasn't much difference.The type of shortys used really didn't make enuff difference to justify the costs & work to put them on @ any RPM .At higher RPMs,the mid-lengths made approx half the gains as the longtube. If I can find the article,I'll post a link.

64SS327 10-04-2013 05:33 PM

I watched a youtube video where they tested long tubes versus the good rams horn and there was only about a ten horsepower difference if I remember correctly. And I believe the difference was only at about 5,000 and up.