In the middle of a road trip! 2 questions! Lean cylinders and noisy rockers? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In the middle of a road trip! 2 questions! Lean cylinders and noisy rockers?

Hi all, i had an issue before with my carb, 1 and 4 cylinders are lean while all the rest cyldiners are dog rich. I took apart my holley 750 dp and made sure all passages were clear and didnt find a thing, I put it back on the engine and tuned the 4 corner idle with a vacuum gauage. I drove around a while and all cyldiners were pretty close in color if not a slight bit richer on some. Mostly tan though. Now about 3 months later, im having the same problem!

I just checked my plugs and all are extrememly rich except for 1 and 4 which are almost white. Im in the middle of a long trip so I cant do much to the engine, but I do have all tools I need. Im at my wifes parents house which is almost halfway through the trip, we stopped here to rest.

What would make just those 2 cyldiners run lean? How does everyone else tune their 4 corner idle carbs?

Also, my roller rockers have always been noisy, but its never been an issue because of straight exhaust. I just had a nice quiet exhaust put on the car, its almost silent under under 2300rpm, so all i hear going down the highway are the roller rockers... I asked a while back how to adjust the roller rockers and was informed how to do it properly by techinspector. He told me also to do only 1/8th turn preload. Are rollers just noisy, or should I do a little more preload? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

First of all if the rockers aren't tight they will break and cause a lot of damage so make sure they are tightened correctly. I have heard of some rockers being noisy but it shouldn't be that loud that you can hear it from inside the car. As for the rick and lean mixture, it could possibly be caused by bad plugs or wires or buildup on in the distributor that will look like it's running rich but it's just that the plug isn't working as well as it should.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I know it is not stock,but the GM manual says 1 full turn so I don't see how 1/4 turn can hurt.Try it and if they get quiet you know they were too loose. I always go 1/4 turn and I have built many engines,just not many with roller rockers.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Nothing wrong with using a little more preload in my opinion. I've read lately that some fellows are using one full turn. I think that's excessive, but hey, whatever blows your skirt up.

Rollers are going to be noisier than stamped steel OEM rockers. It's just the nature of the beast.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.