Hot Rod Forum banner

MIG brazing

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BOBCRMAN@aol.com 
#1 ·
Just set up one of our Miller 130's at the shop for brazing. Very cool, took me a while to figure out why it was giving me birds nests every few minutes but figured out the wire feed pressure was way too high (barely pushing the wire is how it needs to be) and it works SWEET!

Any of you use one?

Brian

#5 · (Edited)
I use .030" For blocks and heads. I "V" out the area. Pre heat the item in oven at around 500 degrees. Then wire brush and fill area with silicon bronze material. On showy stuff I then grind to surrounding surface. Shot peen area while still hot with cast shot.. Actually I let the item cool as it is being shot peened in the machine. A little cast blast paint and the repair disappears.

Only problem with this. Is trying to drill and tap. The stuff is very tuff. New 3 flute tap required to touch the stuff..Mostly Chevrolet broken starter ears.

My neighbor bought a Chevy 348 W- tri power motor. Had water left in it in Michigan. Freeze cracks everywhere. I think there was more bronze in the thing than iron when it was done. I would have scrapped it but he wanted "numbers matching" for whatever reason.. Engine went into a hot rod Ford anyways.. Still running..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.