Mig Glass? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mig Glass?

Had an occasion the other day to try my friends mig, self adjusting welding helmet and found the following. I can see through his helmet and actually see the welding!!!! I have the same type of helmet, although a different manufacturer, and find that my glass is a lot darker than his. Both helmet settings are on #9 (lowest it can go) and the time and sensitivity are both set at maximum. Why the difference? I was under the impression that #9 shade is the lowest you can go and yet there is a difference. You can actually see the difference even when not welding. Has he the wrong glass or do I?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
I personally have never found one of those autodark helmets that I was comfortable with. Here is what I use, have one at the shop and one at home, wouldn't weld without it!

welding helmets auto darkening Auto Dark alternative Hands free

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
27Tall T (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Tall T View Post
Had an occasion the other day to try my friends mig, self adjusting welding helmet and found the following. I can see through his helmet and actually see the welding!!!! I have the same type of helmet, although a different manufacturer, and find that my glass is a lot darker than his. Both helmet settings are on #9 (lowest it can go) and the time and sensitivity are both set at maximum. Why the difference? I was under the impression that #9 shade is the lowest you can go and yet there is a difference. You can actually see the difference even when not welding. Has he the wrong glass or do I?
Ayuh,.... I've got a few of those type helmets,...

My 1st, was a cheap import, that worked for awhile,...
Once I bought the 2nd, I punched out the glass with a chippin' hammer, before somebodyelse hurt their eyes...

My 2nd, was a cheaper Linclon that I still have, 'n still use,...
It's not a variable shade, 'n is alittle darker than I like, but it's Ok...
probably an 11 shade,...
It's just gettin' old, 'n dirty, 'n.....

My 3rd, came with a welder I bought at auction,... almost brand new,..
Don't remember the name on it, but it works fine, 'n has the variable shades,...
I run it on 10 or 11 most of the time, 9 is to light/ bright...

Point of the story is, no 2 helmets are alike,...
Muchless, from 2 different Oem's...
The Following User Says Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
27Tall T (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

auto darking

i also have 2 auto darking helmets.. one harbor freight and a good one that i can't think of the name.. both have a low setting of 9 and the good one i can see better.. but they do make helmets of a 8 setting..
The Following User Says Thank You to delawarebill For This Useful Post:
27Tall T (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

The newer Miller hoods turn down to 8
The top of the line Lincoln 3350 hoods turn down to 6, up to 13, and also has a grind mode.

I had been hoping Santa would bring me a new Miller hood, but I told Santa if she was getting me a new hood I want the Lincoln 3350 with the 3.7"x3.3" viewing area.
Santa rolled her eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Fool For This Useful Post:
27Tall T (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I personally have never found one of those autodark helmets that I was comfortable with. Here is what I use, have one at the shop and one at home, wouldn't weld without it!

welding helmets auto darkening Auto Dark alternative Hands free

Brian
What is it about an auto darken helmet you are not comfortable with ?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

I don't like how they aren't clear when you start, you MUST have some light on your subject. I don't like the strange feeling of striking an arc while you are looking at it. I don't like how you can ONLY use it as a welding helmet. The chin operated flip up lid offers a much larger lens, YOU have complete control over what you are seeing. You can quickly pop it up and grind, you can see exactly what you are doing because it's perfectly clear.

Like I said, I have tried a number of different autodarks going up to pretty nice ones and still have never thought for a second of replacing my accustrike.

Brian
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I know the feeling I had the same problem switching to those new fangled spray guns with the cup on top...But I had dragged the cup in the wet roof for the last time with that old gun and finally got a gravity gun...I think I was one of the last holdouts, but I love it now same with the auto hood
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

this in one place you spend money, being cheap will not be good..

as far as Brians ,pev.. I can't see it.. maybe with the cheap ones with a 1"x4" slice for you to look through.
lifting the autodark to grind isn't a big deal as you have to drop the welder and grab the grinder anyways..
my auto isn't clear when no ark.. it's more like light sunglasses.. so your eyes don't have to adjust as much fom daylight to dark
Brians type your eyes have to adjust a ton.. the older you get the slower your eyes are..
I like the auto dark , mines got a 3x4" lens.. but I only ever used an autodark.. unless you call the torches dark goggles.. ole school..
now that be way kool if they made those in auto dark.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

static smoke ?

I have a few helmets on the shelf, I don't like the one that is battery powered, I have to remember to turn the switch on, , I like a lighter shade for Tig, I still have a couple old style. when welding outside on farm repair work , where I strike the arc doesn't matter and I like my old style best. I have found that smoke gets inside on the lens and safety glass on the auto dark ones . It needs to be taken apart and cleaned every once and a while.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't like how they aren't clear when you start, you MUST have some light on your subject. I don't like the strange feeling of striking an arc while you are looking at it. I don't like how you can ONLY use it as a welding helmet. The chin operated flip up lid offers a much larger lens, YOU have complete control over what you are seeing. You can quickly pop it up and grind, you can see exactly what you are doing because it's perfectly clear.

Like I said, I have tried a number of different autodarks going up to pretty nice ones and still have never thought for a second of replacing my accustrike.

Brian
I do agree it would be nice if the auto darken helmets would go clear, but I assume with today's technology that isn't possible at least at the consumer price level.

I could never get used to using your preferred helmet as I have been a pipe fitter / welder/millwright for near 40 years.
My trade often required me to be able to yell to my partner while welding and many other times it had to be hood down to fit one's head into a tight location to even get a sight line on the weld.

Another benefit when working as a team is when you are hood down,the welder cant flash you when he strikes an accidental arc, or you just aren't paying attention.

I have found level 4 in grind mode is adequate to see with in normal lighting conditions. IF it was too dark the fitter should have his flashlight shining on the weld zone for the welder (or the grind zone for the fitter).A bit different than auto body work,lol.

As with most everything there is no single perfect solution.

I guess when I get really good with the MIG I won't need any helmet - I'll be able to do it like the guys on American Chopper.

Happy New Year To All you guys
Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

You are very right, there are times when under a car or in a tight area the opening of the lid doesn't work perfect, especially for inverted welds.

I may just get an autodark for those times and see how it works for me. Can't have too many tools!

Brian
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The light green layer in an autodark is the UV layer that protects your eyes. The dark makes it so you can see what your doing, Some go darker than others, some are better than others. I personally use a $59.95 Neiko tools helmet. Nice viewing size, but I do have to pull it up to do anything else. More often than not, I'm also using an Arc welder so I gotta shut down the welder too. I never leave it live/ open circuit for very long
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I've got a cheap HF auto darkening helmet, and a really nice Speedglass AD helmet. I have a heck of a time trying to see when welding with the Speedglass, but the cheap HF works wondeful!
Unfortunately when I got the Speedglass I gave the cheap HF helmet to my son in law to use, and now I can't get him to swap with me! I really need to figure out how to get more light with the Speedglass, so I can see what I'm welding on!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

I love my Lincoln AD. it is not clear but just a bit of green tint darkened well enough for me, and I do have the solar charging system on it ... NO batteries!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.