MIG How long does sheilding gas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Last journal entry: Cleaning and Powder coat
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

MIG How long does sheilding gas

All,

Just purchased a new MIG machine and I was getting ready to buy a cylinder of Gas. I was considering using the 25 Cu Ft cylinders of C-25. How much life are you getting out of a cylinder of gas and how big is that cylinder?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Last journal entry: Trunk Part 21
Last photo:

If you can, I would recommend a larger tank. 55-70 CUFT. I got the small tank thinking it would be plenty. Running at 25 CUFT /hr flow rate only gives you about an hour of actual welding time. Seems like a lot, but it really isn't. When I go get a refill, I'm upgrading to a 70 CUFT tank.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

It really depends on what you set the regualtor at. My welder doesn't require the gas to be turned up that high, but I am in a low airflow environment when I am welding(doors shut,no fans,etc) It also depends on if you forgot to turn off the regulator after every use, sometimes it will bleed off and drain the tank some. Also depends on how much you are planning on using it...everyday? weekends only?
Alot of variables that going into trying to guess how long it will last you.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 09-08-2005, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Get the biggest tank practical for your situation, be very careful with your flow settings and be sure to turn off the tank. Some people simply wa$te a heck of a lot of their gas by being careless with it and over time C/25 can get quite costly if you waste it. A lot of gas is wa$ted by increasing the flow in an attempt to weld in drafty conditions thinking that will make up for the gas being blown away by the draft but in fact this helps very little. The problem with drafts is more of a shielding gas contamination problem from atmospheric gas than loss of shielding from the draft so controlled welding conditions is the answer and increasing flow usually just wastes gas. Another situation that leads to waste is increasing flow in an attempt to correct a problem such as porosity when the cause is something else such as dirt, rust or paint contamination so if you are having weld problems check for other things before reaching for that flow control and most of all determine how much gas you really need for your situation and don't use more than necessary. Remember if you need 20 cfh and you have a setting of 30 cfh you cutting your gas supply by 1/3.

Last edited by oldred; 09-08-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys,

I realize the correct answer is "it depends" that's the answer for most questions in life. Since I'm about to go buy a bottle I choose the same philosopy as I did for the MIG. 110 would do for most of what I do but I took the 220V machine for the extra capacity.

Looks like I'll go find a 40CU ft cylinder that 20 at Tractor supply doesn't look like such a good deal any more.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

Aminga, actually Tractor Supply is a very good place to get your gas and they should have any size tank you need in stock, at least the two here locally stock large tanks. Their prices are fair and most are open on Sunday which seems to be the most popular day to run out
Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

I went with a 40 and have been very happy with the time between refills. Since I got my MIG I have been welding quite a bit on a lot of projects and it seems to last a long time for me. The best tips are mentioned above. Set the regulator where it really needs to be and remember to turn it off when you are done, I'm a believer that more gas is wasted than used if you don't do those things, my neighbor uses twice as much gas as I do and welds half as much, most of the time because he forgets to close the valve at the end of the days welding.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Aminga, actually Tractor Supply is a very good place to get your gas and they should have any size tank you need in stock, at least the two here locally stock large tanks. Their prices are fair and most are open on Sunday which seems to be the most popular day to run out
You're right. Turns out the sell 2 20 Cu ft cylinders. A weldmate brand, sold instore full and the gaspony. brand. The gaspony is a bit cheaper. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceM
I went with a 40 and have been very happy with the time between refills. Since I got my MIG I have been welding quite a bit on a lot of projects and it seems to last a long time for me. The best tips are mentioned above. Set the regulator where it really needs to be and remember to turn it off when you are done, I'm a believer that more gas is wasted than used if you don't do those things, my neighbor uses twice as much gas as I do and welds half as much, most of the time because he forgets to close the valve at the end of the days welding.
Each person uses their machine a different ammount. So here's a measure. How many 1LB units of welding wire does the 40 Cu Ft cylinder last.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Classic Car Lover

I would talk to your local welding supply store. When I bought my Mig, I called all over the place looking for the best deal. I settled on a recycling supply store called Grecco's here locally. I went down with the intent to purchase a 90cu. ft. bottle for around $100.00. While there the guy that was waiting on be suggested a 135cu. ft. bottle for $145.00. I said I'll never use that much, I don't weld that much. He agreed with me, with the exception of when I take the bottle back for a refill the 90cu. ft. bottle would cost $25.00, the 135cu. ft. bottle would cost $27.50. Big difference in refill cost. I felt that by paying more up front I would save in the back. You may also find this type of savings with the bottle size that you are looking at.

Bill
Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

Festive, You have pointed out a very often overlooked reason to get the biggest bottle practical since the bigger the bottle the less cost per cubic foot of gas with the difference between refill cost on a small bottle and a big one being close to the same it makes the gas a LOT cheaper per cubic foot.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Classic Car Lover

Oldred, I guess maybe I did. It will take me forever to empty the 135cu. ft. bottle, but it will cost me only an extra $2.50 for the extended time period.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.