Mig soot? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mig soot

I run my gas about 14 lbs.That is kind of high ,You are running.Plus you will use up alot of gas.I would put your gas at 14 lbs.To start with.Then i would check other things out.What kind of machine do you have? In is it a 220 volts or is it 110?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 PM

Last photo:

here is a pick of a rearend I just narrowed. A little soot but not much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jul22_02.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	23408  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:01 AM

Last photo:

Web - A little soot is right, all I see is a tiny spot in the extreme lower left that MAY be soot otherwise that weld is clean and a good example of what it should look like in regards to soot with nothing more than the normal brown "dust" that results form the inherent smoke produced by the weld. As was pointed out soot such as Cboy is experiencing is a red flag that should not be ignored and this has gotten very puzzling since the usual suspects have been eliminated but the problem still persists.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:36 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=cboy]could the arching from my nozzle (which was discussed in a prior thread) potentially have caused an ongoing fault in the welder itself?/QUOTE]

No, Don't worry about that the arching in the nozzle won't hurt anything except the nozzle and/or tip/diffuser, the current simply shorts to the nozzle making the complete tip assembly electrically "hot" and provides a path to ground (the work piece in this case) through the nozzle itself instead of just the tip and wire. If the nozzle then touches the work piece or simply gets close enough the current can then jump from the tip/diffuser to the nozzle (or flow without arching if completely shorted) then jump from the nozzle to the work piece. This obviously can damage the tip/diffuser/nozzle but it can not feed back into the welder and cause damage there so that arching in the nozzle could not have caused this problem.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

Try to borrow another welder. If problem persists then its the metal your welding and I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Primer
Last photo:

If you check the Oct. 07 Street Rodder mag on page 92, you will see tack welds put in at Marcel's. They are the guys that built the Coddington Alumitub body, and, from everything I have heard, are well respected in the hot rod sheet metal business. The welds shown on page 92 of a highly circulated mag look sootier than yours cboy.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
What kind of machine do you have?
Miller 175 (220).
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
If you check the Oct. 07 Street Rodder mag on page 92, you will see tack welds put in at Marcel's. They are the guys that built the Coddington Alumitub body, and, from everything I have heard, are well respected in the hot rod sheet metal business. The welds shown on page 92 of a highly circulated mag look sootier than yours cboy.
From a respected welder or not soot is NOT normal and is an indicator that something is not right also that spatter is another indication that something is wrong. Because it is in a highly circulated hotrod mag means nothing and if their welds are contaminated by soot then they have a problem also. I would not settle for an inferior weld just because someone else did and I can assure you that if that had of been a welding trade magazine the sooty weld issue would not have gone unnoticed!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
From a respected welder or not soot is NOT normal and is an indicator that something is not right also that spatter is another indication that something is wrong. Because it is in a highly circulated hotrod mag means nothing and if their welds are contaminated by soot then they have a problem also. I would not settle for an inferior weld just because someone else did and I can assure you that if that had of been a welding trade magazine the sooty weld issue would not have gone unnoticed!
Couldnt of said it better
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

cboy..if the problem ends up being something in the welder itself,call their 1 800 number and explain how far you are from the nearest miller repair dealer.
Any time ive delt with them that way its usualy turned out pretty good,especialy if i say"well heck,i thought you guys clearly advertise your freindly tech help and gaurantees on your machines and equipment and right now your clearly showing me wrong,think i'll just sell this one in a yard sale for whats its worth now and go buy me a Lincoln machine"..that always seems to get their attention...
Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
go buy me a Lincoln machine"..that always seems to get their attention...
Just the MENTION of Lincoln to those Miller guys will get their attention in a hurry, guaranteed!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

This may be slightly off topic but I can't let SuthnCustoms' generosity go unnoticed. Yesterday I received a "care package" from him in the mail with an assortment of welding and fabricating related aids. From a flameproof welding jacket, to burrs, to a flow meter for my mig tank, to sanding and grinding disks, to eye protection, and the list goes on. I'm just blown away by someone in our "virtual" hotrod community being so willing not only to help answer my questions but to go the extra mile by supplying gear and tools to help out a fellow rodder whom he has never met face to face. And he asked for absolutely nothing in return.

These words seem quite inadequate as a way of responding but I guess they will have to suffice for the moment.

ALL the goodies are much appreciated, John, and they will be put to good use on the Sedan/delivery project and on future projects.

Dewey
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
This may be slightly off topic but I can't let SuthnCustoms' generosity go unnoticed. Yesterday I received a "care package" from him in the mail with an assortment of welding and fabricating related aids. From a flameproof welding jacket, to burrs, to a flow meter for my mig tank, to sanding and grinding disks, to eye protection, and the list goes on. I'm just blown away by someone in our "virtual" hotrod community being so willing not only to help answer my questions but to go the extra mile by supplying gear and tools to help out a fellow rodder whom he has never met face to face. And he asked for absolutely nothing in return.

These words seem quite inadequate as a way of responding but I guess they will have to suffice for the moment.

ALL the goodies are much appreciated, John, and they will be put to good use on the Sedan/delivery project and on future projects.

Dewey

This is EXACTLY the only reward or return favor i ever want...Appreciation.
I truely beleive in the old saying"help your brothers and sisters and neighbors out".
If more people would do things like this,this country would be a MUCH better place.
Ive always taught my kids this,and im proud of my son because everytime i turn around i see him helping elders and needed out and asks for nothing in return.
I became a union ironworker many years ago,have worked both sides,non and union and i have to say i stuck to union for a few reasons,one is the money is good and im always garaunteed my retirement pension and medical beinnies for my family,but the main factor i stuck with it?..when a brother or sister is injured or down and out,so to speak,our hall sends a "letter" out to all jobsites for a donation,these letters require you to put your name on it and exactly how much you donated so when the money is delivered to the person there is no quarrels about how maybe someone "dipped in the pot".
No one is required at all to donate anything,but for instance,if im workin a nuclear power plant job and bringin home a minumum of 1500.00 a week,whats a 100 dollar bill out of my pocket to help someone in need?,to me its nothing.
Things like this are not only a little "pat on the back" so to say,but..the feeling inside is the most of the reward and and unexplainable of the actual reward a person gets.
I could on and on about how helping people out,like elderly people in dire needs,people who are physicly or mentally challenged ,or just a freind who cant afford to do the things he/she loves to do in life but has bills and a family to care for in first perspective and you just happen to have the resources to help them out.
Ok..im gonna stop typing a book here..lol..cboy?,youve got a true freind here always,one thing i MAY want in return..is just a few answers to some questions when im building a rod and become"dumbfounded"..lol
Enjoy the "goodies"
John

Last edited by SuthnCustoms; 08-14-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Cboy did you check your polarity? Here are some pic.I run my machine on D for the heat,And on 6 to 6.5 on wire speed. In 14 on the gas .that is a very good machine you have.If your speed is to high it will splatter alot more .Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3620.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	23425   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3621.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	23426   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0173.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	23427  
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Mig soot

Well said John!!! My dad told me along time ago,"If you want good friends, you've got to be a good friend." Youngster.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.