Mig or Tig - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 12:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tig welding is lots of practice and a steady hand. Mig welding is like a hot glue gun, with a little practice on a mig you can do great. For a tipical home owner it would be mig hands down.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 AM
Mark Goulette

i have a 200 amp mig now, and am purchasing a 200 amp tig (i have the need to weld chromemoly and aluminum now, and i don't want to change my mig around to weld aluminum). i get all my welding equipment from htp ( i know jeff, the owner), and have never had any problems with it. i got the mig 200 because he cut me a deal on it. $1000 complete. normal price is almost 1900 bucks. hard to pass up a deal on that. can't agree more though, most home jobs need nothing more than a lincoln weld pak 110 or 115, miller 135, or comparable machine. i've never used the smaller miller units, but i have the really big ones (250 amps +) and i think they are fantastic machines. used a lincoln weld pak 110 too, and it worked great as well. either way though, i do think mig is easiest to learn, and the most versatile. i wouldn't consider the extra expense and skill required to have a tig unless you have a bonafide need for one, or you really, really want one. cool thing about all this is looking at something you built yourself, and the pride you have in it knowing you did a great job at building it.

oh, does anybody know of any good books on tig welding? i need something to read until i get my tig here...............i'll be learing the trade from my local chassis builder after that...........
Old 12-16-2005, 06:14 AM

Mig or TIg

I wouldn't want to try to get by without my mig, but sometimes the old buzz box is the best tool for the job too! Granted on most cars you don't join any serious sized pieces, but I live where you need snow plows and other heavier types of things just to get by. Hank
Old 12-18-2005, 10:28 PM
WELER HERE TO HELP

Frank you have quite a responce.
first off what are you going to do. Tig has better penitration and is cleaned. A slower process, more experience is needed. Mig is easy production. fast appearance is not as good but with the right person opperasting the process can look like tig. Remember with mig what gas are you going to use 75/25 a/co2 98/2 a/ox or 100% co2 that is for steel. Need to know your appication where and how you are going to use it.
Check out my web sight I use mig tig arc plasma and others in a every day event.
http://mrrpmwelding.net
Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
www.TOOLandFAB.com

Last journal entry: 1UZFE (Lexus V8) swap into 1993 4Runner
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamin
Tig welding is lots of practice and a steady hand. Mig welding is like a hot glue gun, with a little practice on a mig you can do great. For a tipical home owner it would be mig hands down.
I agree with this. Having both (MM210/180SD), I grab the MIG for quick stuff and when I'm welding something that can't be set on the bench. Anyone can pickup a MIG gun and have at it (with minimal instruction) TIG takes concentration, patience, and practice. In my opinion, MIG is more utility, while good TIG is more of an art form. A nice stack of nickles on aluminum is a thing of beauty!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:41 PM

Personally, I Have The Miller 172 220 Volt With The Spool Gun And The Miller SD180 TIG Machine.... The Mig Is VERY Versatile And You Can Do Anything With It Very Quickly. However, If You Feel Like Being Incredibly Picky (I Can Be Anal At Times) The TIG Is The Way To Go. It Is Time Consuming, But Does An Incredible Job! Great For Clearing Your Mind, Doing The Relax Thing!!! Ron

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.