Hot Rod Forum banner

mig welder

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  scrot 
#1 ·
I'm a newbe and would like to ask you guys a question about a little Craftsman wire feed mig that has infinate voltage control,1/4 inch single pass,uses solid or flux cored,120v.20amp.My question is I have everything except the argon/co2 bottle and the pressure gauges.Sears has no parts available where should I look for a bottle and what size and will any good gauge set work ? thank you

#3 ·
Another option is to rent the bottle from where you get your gas. Around here, the suppliers almost insist on that. I had to jump through some hoops to get them to incorporate my bottle, which I owned, into their supply system. So you might want to check with whomever is going to supply your gas to see what their policy is on "owned" bottles.

#4 ·
Bottle Rent

Hey Cboy, hate to butt in, but I think the OP might be interested too.
Question is; What's you're take on the suppliers insisting on renting their bottles? Is it all the current federal regulations on periodic rebuild and recertification, or the suppliers just jackin profits by getting the rent and the refill costs? In recent years this has seemed to become a hassel in our area too. I would really like to own my bottles cause I don't use enough gas to warrant the expense(monthly rental)olnolan

#5 ·
Back to the upgrade . . .

I have a little Lincoln 100 Weld Pac (I think that's the model . . . 120 V job). I, too, need to find some upgrade hardware for using MIG vs Flux-Core(technically, I suppose it's GMAW short-arc vs. FCAW). I've been to Orchard Supply Hardware (pretty serious hardware store), two Home Depots, and one Lowes looking for the "MIG kit" that HD used to stock. No such luck. The MIG kits used to include the bottle, IIRC, but the ones advertized on-line now-a-days are short the bottle and they're nearly 50% more money. What do y'all recommend as a source for these kits? Do the HF welders have such a kit available? Are they Lincoln compatible? Thanks for any input.

Pat

#6 ·
OLNOLAN said:
What's you're take on the suppliers insisting on renting their bottles? Is it all the current federal regulations on periodic rebuild and recertification, or the suppliers just jackin profits by getting the rent and the refill costs?
Probably all of the above. I think in my particular area it's a problem because none of the suppliers do their own filling of the tanks. They are all sent about 1 1/2 hours south to Wausau to be filled. Thus, it's virtually impossible to keep track of "owned" tanks so they can get them back to the rightful place.

What they ended up doing with my tanks (oxy/acetylene and my mig tank) is just incorporated them into their regular system. I gave them my old "owned" tanks and now I don't pay any rental fee. I just drop off my empty and pick up a full one from my local distributor. But only one local supplier was willing to go to bat for me on this and work out a deal. The other nearby supplier, Car Quest, has an absolute policy of rental only and would not fill me "owned" tanks.

#7 ·
Try weldersdirect.com for online welders supplies..the bottle one will have to get from a local gas supplier..I have had no issue with my bottle exchange from my local guy..course if he gave me any lip I will have a new guy..
For the OP any flow meter will work..what you need that is part specific is the valve that goes in the machine..I think the Sears welders were made by Clarke and the are out of business so you may be SOL on parts.

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.