Thread: mig welder
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
What's you're take on the suppliers insisting on renting their bottles? Is it all the current federal regulations on periodic rebuild and recertification, or the suppliers just jackin profits by getting the rent and the refill costs?
Probably all of the above. I think in my particular area it's a problem because none of the suppliers do their own filling of the tanks. They are all sent about 1 1/2 hours south to Wausau to be filled. Thus, it's virtually impossible to keep track of "owned" tanks so they can get them back to the rightful place.

What they ended up doing with my tanks (oxy/acetylene and my mig tank) is just incorporated them into their regular system. I gave them my old "owned" tanks and now I don't pay any rental fee. I just drop off my empty and pick up a full one from my local distributor. But only one local supplier was willing to go to bat for me on this and work out a deal. The other nearby supplier, Car Quest, has an absolute policy of rental only and would not fill me "owned" tanks.