mig welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mig welder

what all you think about this mig welder? http://www.telwin.com/webtelwin/prodotti.nsf/(SchedaSintetica)/E820054?OpenDocument&E or do you recommend other?
Here in Portugal we don't have hobar, miller and other similar high quality brands from you country. we only have acess to cebora , telwin and esab (very expensive over here).
I've used one similar to that one in thick stuff but how well it will handle sheet metal?
I've almost no experience welding sheet metal with mig, only thick stuff. But I will stsart my capri bodywork soon so I need a welder that is capable of handling sheet metal well and still be able to weld thick stuff .

sorry for my bad english

António Costa

Advertisement

Last edited by CaPrI_MaN; 04-19-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2005, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Capri-Looks like that machine will do most anythig you need but I must admit I am not familar with the brand. You mention ESAB which I know well and very highly recomend as they are one of the best made and parts and service is avaliable world wide.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Maybe I buy an esab one, but they are very expensive here in portugal. And the guy at my weld supplier told me that telwin as similar quality to esab, i think that I could trust him becuase he sells both brands.
About the model form telwin that im thinking about buying, I think that I will not need the 270amp version (and I need money for other stuff) so maybe I stick with the 200 amps version that will still be able to do most of my stuff.
I've almost only experience welding thick stuff with mig, how do you think that the telwin telwin will handle sheetmetal (I will start my capri bodywork soon)?
Wth do you all think abou the quality of this welder?
http://www.telwin.com/webtelwin/prodotti.nsf/(SchedaSintetica)/E821060?OpenDocument&E

Thank you all for the help that everyone In this forum has been gaving to me.

António Costa
from Portugal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P02604.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	4715   Click image for larger version

Name:	telwin.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	4722  

Last edited by CaPrI_MaN; 04-21-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

That unit pictured looks similar to a brand I've seen in Canada. SIP maybe (made in Italy) We have both Esab and SIP as well as Miller, Lincoln and Thremal Dynamics. All have worked with little to no problems. I cant read the output voltage values on the data very well. It looks like that one turns down to around 25V at the lowest, which in my opinion is fairly hot. My Thermal Dynamics unit turns down to 13 or 14 volts and is super smooth for sheetmetal. Your English is fine....
Old 04-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Iso Cert

The company holds an ISO9000/2000 certification..that is hard to get so I would not be concerned about getting equipment from them..Course I have trouble translating inches to metric..so you may wish to ask the vendor about his recommendations on the range of thickness of metal that you will be using in your shop..

OMT
Old 04-23-2005, 05:15 AM

Last photo:

Thank you all for your answers. Aboout the voltage values on the telmig 203/2 the only information that I could get was the "no load voltage value" which is 31V I don't know if it's to high for sheet metal. But I know that there lots of body shops using it around here. It is very used over here becuase most shops only do collision repair work and they usualy use it to spot weld panels, so they prefer the ones form telwin becuase they have a spot weld timer.
Other brand that we have around here is Cebora ( www.cebora.it ), but i've welded a lot with their stuff and I don't like it much.
About conversion, can you explain how can convert from "gauge" to milimiters?
For example how can I convert 22 guage thickness into to milimiters, I'm almost sure that it's less than 1mm.
Thank you for all you help.

António Costa
from Portugal
Old 04-23-2005, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

Here is a link to a gauge chart: www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm There is no metric equivalent listed. If I did my conversion right it should be 0.75MM.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
The company holds an ISO9000/2000 certification..that is hard to get so I would not be concerned about getting equipment from them..Course I have trouble translating inches to metric..so you may wish to ask the vendor about his recommendations on the range of thickness of metal that you will be using in your shop..

OMT
LOL ISO is nothing but a paperwork thing, I worked for a company that was ISO 9000 and it was the crappiest company in the world and had even worse products. I am not saying this welder is bad just don't put squat in ISO because if you hire a person dumb enough to fill out all the paper work nothing else needs to be done.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

I really agree with you daimon1054 the ISO9000/2000 doesn't mean that something has quality.
The guy at the welding store says that I can weld all the common sheet metal used in the automotive industry. What most worries me is that the only info about voltage that I have is it's maximum they weren't able to tell me minimum voltage that htat welder an run...
I'm sure that that welder will last me a long time because I know a guy who uses a welder from them about 7 hours a day and he been using the welder for 9 years without a problem but he only welds thicker stuff.
I must admit that I prefer ESAB but here in Portugal they are pretty expensive and we only have a little range of machines to choos from.
Take a look at this link, it's the mig welders range form Esab that we have available here. http://pt.esab.net/item.asp?id=66246

António costa
Old 04-26-2005, 04:53 AM

tell them you want to test it. Just about every shop here will let you if you ask. Bring in some material you work with most often and try different settings. I did that for my plasma cutter, I told them if it work for what I wanted I would buy it. I figure if they have nothing to hide the will let you test it out with the provision that if it does what they say you will buy it.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Hi.
Well like I said in a post the made today on the Body-exterior forum, It has been a long time since my last post and since I've done any work on my project car because of lots of things related to my personal life.
Anyway I really apreciate all the tips that you guys gave me on this topic but I decided on a different welder. A lincoln powertec 200c, it's a lincoln model only available in europe. I bought it in january of this year it welds great.
This pictures were taken in the day after I bought it.

Best regards,
Antonio costa
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00126.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	20156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	20157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00136.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	20158   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00137.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	20159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00137.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	20160  

Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00140.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	20161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00414ss.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	20162  

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.