Mig Welders??????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2003, 04:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Mig Welders???????

I was wondering if any one could help me and tell me wats the best mig for me
i will be using it for chassis work and as well a steeling out my roadster and also for body work. my buget seen im only at school would be around AU$800-$900
i was thinking maybe WIA weldmatic 150s or 175s

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2003, 06:03 PM
il enforcer

[quote]Originally posted by ridenlo:
<strong>I was wondering if any one could help me and tell me wats the best mig for me
i will be using it for chassis work and as well a steeling out my roadster and also for body work. my buget seen im only at school would be around AU$800-$900
i was thinking maybe WIA weldmatic 150s or 175s</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a 120 Lincoln mig and it works well. If you are going to do a lot of chassis work get a 220/240 V unit. Make sure the duty cycle is what you need. Some units are rated at a 15 to 20% duty cycle. That is a joke as you will be waiting for it to cool more than you are using it ( assuming you are welding at max current).

I know nothing about the WIA units. Look at welding

Ed really knows his stuff.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

I have the Millermatic 135 and love it! Best tool in my tool box. I have never welded before I got it and taught myself. Just practice! The guy at my welding supplier says that Miller has more metal moving parts verses the plastic in a Lincoln or Hobart. So if you can afford the Miller get it. If ya look at all those guys with beat up moble welders that are left out in the rain drug around job sites or hanging from cranes chances are its a Miller. Thats what sold me. Hobart by the way is made by Miller its thier lower end model good luck!

Old 02-26-2003, 01:00 PM

Before I bought, like most folks, I did research and finally bought a Hobart 135. Made by Miller but cost less. I'm very satisfied with it.
Check out <a href="http://www.hobartwelders.com/talk/" target="_blank">Hobart forum</a>

Good Luck

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Seon ]</p>
Old 02-26-2003, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Mavrick- I hate to disagree but hobart is not made by miller just the other way around, both are owned by ITW as parent company.I have used hobart,miller and lincoln welders in my shop for many years and I can say that they are all top of the line,mostly made in the good ol USA.Hobart is not anybodys bottom line in fact they are one of the largest and oldest welding supliers in the world.Best base your choice on duty cycle as some of the 110 volt models have a very short welding time.If you think you might be welding somthing thicker than a body panel such as a frame or maybe building a trailer then you might want to check out the 220 volt models.Hobart,Lincoln and miller are all excelent machines, take your pick.I am only a novice at body work but I have been welding for far longer than I care to say.

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: oldred ]

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: oldred ]</p>
Old 02-26-2003, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

well said oldred, i have a 100 lincoln 110v, in the body shop part of the garage, and a 170 lincoln 220v in the repair and fabricating side. both work great.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

TRACTOR SUPPLY has the Hobart 175 welder for $649 includes self darkening helmet. Be carefull of amp ratings. The ratings are usually input thus, the Hobart actually has a 130 amp output which is the minimum I would use for frame welding.
I have a Miller 200 amp MIG & 250 amo TIG but, have used many welders & any of the big 3 are great just buy a min of 130 amps out/230 volt.

You can also buy on-line just do a search.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

Don Meyer- You mention the included self darkening hood.This is a very usefull tool that no welder should be without.Someone trying one for the first time is going to be in for a treat,they are just fantastic to say the least!For anyone who has never tried one I would suggest that you do so soon as it will make the job a lot easier.A beginner will find that learning to weld will be much easier.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I own a Hobart 175 that I bought in the package deal from Tractor Supply as mentioned above. The auto darkening helmet is killer, and a $180 value not to mention the free cart for the welder. I have had no problems with mine and have done everything from body panel repair to frame splices to roll cages. I guarantee you will not be disapointed with the Hobart 175.

BUT, if you want to spend a bit more a Miller has greater adjustability on the amperage than the Hobarts. The Hobart only has 4 settings, but it has not been a problem for me. I think it will run you over $1000 for a 175 amp Miller though.

Chris
Old 02-26-2003, 08:05 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

you mean to tell me I'm the only one here with a century mig pos?????
Old 02-27-2003, 06:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I like Walmart, but welders are where I draw the line.

Chris

[quote]Originally posted by crazy larry:
<strong>you mean to tell me I'm the only one here with a century mig pos?????</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 02-27-2003, 06:38 AM

Oldred is correct as to the parent company of Miller and Hobart. I retrieved the following from the Hobart forum. Rock is a Hobart/Miller Rep. At any rate, both are very good welders:

Name: ROCK
E-Mail: SSCOTT@MILLERWELDS.COM
Date: 2000-03-08

Message Content: GOOD AFTERNOON NESTER............HERE IS THE DEAL HOBART IS STILL A SEPERATE INITY AS IS MILLER..........2 DIFFERENT COMPANIES BUT OWNED BY THE SAME MOTHER COMPANY. THAT COMPANY IS ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS..........BOTH MILLER AND HOBART MAKE EACH OTHERS EQUIPMENT........WE BUILD MILLER AND HOBART HERE AT HOBARTS AND MILLER BUILDS MILLER AND HOBART EQUIPMENT THERE........
Old 02-27-2003, 06:40 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by TurboS10:
<strong>I like Walmart, but welders are where I draw the line.

Chris

</strong><hr></blockquote>

as if.... its from good ol' sears as if...
sheesh.....
only reason i bought a century, if you buy a welder from the snap on guy, you are buying a century, just for a whole lot more. I'd put my cracker box up against, wait no I wouldnt. get the miller.....

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: crazy larry ]</p>
Old 02-27-2003, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

One more thing about the cheaper welders is that on some models the wire remains at welding power even when the feed trigger is off.This is a pain in the butt, but more imporantly it can very easily cause a realy bad pain in the eyes!The first thing I would ask a salesman is does this thing have a contactor?If so then the wire will be "cold" when not welding but if it dont then the wire will be "hot" any time the welder is on wether welding or not.Without this feature it is VERY easy to accidently cause an arc that could cause injury to yourself or the work piece.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Cool

I've had a Lincoln SP100 110volt for over ten years now and no problems.The only ones I've heard problems with the Daytona Migs.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.