Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - MIG Welding - 030 vs 035
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Just keep in mind,, The bigger the wire, The hotter you need to run the machine..The smaller the wire, The lower you can run the machine...

The smaller wire is good on panel work... You can keep the heat down and still get penetration..

You shouldn't need no more then 0.30...

I only use 0.23 and 0.30 ...The 0.23 can weld the thicker metal also... Like someone said... It has a lot to do with the guy holding the gun.... And for the thicker metal's,, Always bevel grind both sides... So you can get 100% weld..

I would agree. I think hobbyist like myself don't always work with the best tools so we learn to do with what we have. What I see is a lot of people who weld professionally say you cannot weld thick metal with a 110v welder; I say they never had to.

I learned with my Hobart 110v welder...which is pretty bottom of the barrel welder, that it does not weld ....ANYTHING as good with .030 wire as it does with .024 wire. But it does do an outstanding job with .024 wire.

The point being the 110v welder does not handle .030 wire as well. I can not speak for a larger welder but I have learned to do some prety large jobs with the smaller wire.

The part that is missed is with larger wire, the weld is much quicker. With smaller wire the weld takes longer and the added heat makes up for the inadequacies of the wire; providing there is a good bevel and you are laying down a good amount of weld.

What I found is, with good bevels, taking time to lay down good rows of weld, smaller wire can be quite good.

Here is a set of blades which went to a mush hog on a very large tractor. My tractor is 54hp and the tractor which used these is 2x the size. Blades are 1/2" thick and they were used to clear several acres including the mowing down of 100's of locust trees. Notice the heat distortion. The area welded (not just the weld) was cherry red when I set the gun down:

This is a 1/2" thick tab on a very large water table. I had to torch it off for transport and weld it back on during set up. The tab was used to lift the table which is heavy enough to make a 5000lb fork truck light on it's wheels.

My neighbor pulled out a plow with no attachment bar. We welded on a 1" thick plow bar to the top; no mechanical advantage just weld. He plowed a couple acres in the back yard to feed the deer corn.