mig welding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 09:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

mig welding

Hi I just bought a mig welder the gasless mig pak 10 from jegs. I've never welded with a mig before and I am having a hard time getting good penetrating welds that hold. I made some practice welds with the old floor pans that I cutout, I made sure I cleaned them off real good but my welds suck. I don't know what I am doing wrong I am ok at arc welding and I thought mig would be easier. Can anyone recommend any videos or cd roms that would help??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2004, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Rich-Need to know what your welds look like,are they burning thu? Are you sure the polarity of the machine is set right? If you are using gassless wire then it will be difficult to get a really good weld and you probably will never be completely satisfied until you bite the bullet and get some gas and MIG wire. Gassless welders are NOT MIG welders(Metal-Inert-Gas)no matter what some catalogs call them as there is no such thing as a gassless MIG and true MIG welders are light years ahead of gassless welders. Let us know a little more about your problem and I am sure that someone here can help.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:51 PM

The welds are pooling on the sheet metal and they are not very strong because they are not fully penetrating. When I lower or raise the feed speed its no better and if I raise the heat to the next level it just burns right through. I think your right I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy some gas. That's what the guys at work suggested. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:36 PM

First turn the heat up till you burn though. On thicker stuff you need to slow the wire feed down on thinner speed it up and move faster. If you open the side cover almost all units have a recomended setting for voltage, wire speed is up to you. Turn the speed up till you feel the wire pushing you off the work, that is to fast, slow it down some then move slow. Flux core will weld just fine but it is like 6011 rods, easy but messy so look for a lot of splater.
I also find draggin the puddel and working in small circles is the best way for me, pushing does not give me enough penetration. The thinner the wire the deeper the penetration, yes it seams backwards but the smaller electrode concentrates the heat more. Last keep the distance short, if the wire gets long you will lose voltage, the electricity is introduced at the tip.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Daimon is right on,not much that I could add except to suggest that you practice on some scrap until you get the hang of it which I am sure you will in a short time. Flux core wire is just a little harder to use and not quite as clean but it will work.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:17 PM
suck, squeeze, bang, blow

Last journal entry: finally reeled it in
Last photo:

I hear you brother...
If one of the guys at work have a MIG with gas or you can try out a MIG with gas, do it. I've tried welding gasless a few times and have always had poor results. With sheet metal I would rather use a spot or tiny stick and arc weld instead of fluxcore MIG. With gas, it's like spreading on a weld, even a novice can make decent strong welds.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.