might switch my 383 for LT1? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

might switch my 383 for LT1?

hey guys hows it goin? ..haven't been on in awhile, been busy w/my truck. always somethin to do on somethin it seems well, my 383 in my '75 Nova has a broken piston rod it sounds like. thanks to my pops runnin 2nd gear to 85 m.p.h.

my buddy has an LT1 for cheap so I'm thinkin just slappin that thing in. since its fuel injected it might be a little more reliable.. (this is my everyday) Its gotta TH-350 tranny. do I need different bell-housing for the LT1 to fit the tranny?

any other problems I might have? the LT1 comes w/the whole setup, ECU, everything.

the only reason I don't wanna just rebuild is b/c my camaro needs a motor and the 383 can go there after a rebuild.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It should bolt up to the tranny as far as I know. Might need a different flexplate but I dont know how different the 700r4's are from the TH350's flex plate.

You'll need to rework your fuel system as the LT1's injection system runs at a MUCH higher PSI. You can use an aftermarket intake unit from Walbro (or a stock replacement unit if it will fit). If you have to run an inline unit I have found that an inline pump from an 85 FI 4cyl Ranger has worked great for me.

LT1's are fairly complicated engines (reverse rotation, water pump driven by camshaft, optispark system, etc) so do your reading before you dive in. Fuel injection isn't nessesarily more reliable. There are many more things to break . That said, I switched my 66 gmc to fuel injection and it would take a hell of a FI problem to get me to consider going back to a carbed setup.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

LT1 Swap

The LT1 engine in my opinion is a great engine, they run strong out of the box and also a lot of add on high performance parts available. I installed a 1995 Lt1 into my 94 Chevy S-10 and everything worked out OK. (I took it back out to install it into my 1931 Ford I liked it that much very reliable) A few things you should know is what year and what car it came out of. Does it have cast iron or aluminum cylinder heads. (alum is higher horse power) Also make sure it is a 5.7 not a 4.3, the 4.3 is known as the baby LT1. Depending on what year the ECU is, you could use the 4L60E auto trans its an electronic controlled trans and would give you better gas millage and also the computer will control it (no detent cable) and also a lower 1st gear. But yes you TH350 will bolt to it. You will also have to have the ECU programed to have the theft system turned off depending on what year it is. (PCMFORLESS.COM can do this for you for cheap). If you need any other info I would be happy to help.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:53 PM

thanks for the info. guys! good lookin out on the higher PSI fuel system. I hadn't thought of that... if its '94 will it have to be reprogrammed? I'ma gonna hop on some chevy forums and do some readin.. I believe it came out of a 94' Impala SS. sounds like FI is a nice luxury to have. can't wait to see what its like
Old 04-11-2005, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

you might find this one interesting: http://www.lt1tech.com/
Old 04-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

LT1 Swap

If it is out of a 1994 Impala SS, yes I do believe you will need to have the theft deterrent turned off. But also at the same time and for the same price you can have it programmed for other things such as a bigger cam such as the LT4 hot cam, bigger injectors, the speed limiter turned off, higher stall torque converter, EGR Valve turned off, rear axle ratio and other things. If you do go with the 4L60E auto trans you can use a 700R4 torque converter. You can download a order/build sheet from PCMFORLESS.COM. These guys programmed mine and I am very happy with the results. Or you can get many other programs to do the programming yourself (LT1 Edit) but for the cost pcmforless is the way to go I believe it was $99.00 for the service. Also the Impala is going to have cast iron cylinder heads on it but still flows well and make good power. But the biggie will be the fuel economy. its great for the amount of power and being a v8. If you need fuel pressure specs and places to buy fuel line adapters I can help, also you will need a return fuel line.
Good luck Steve
Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 AM

Lt1 Help

I have a 1994 Corvette with the OEM LT1 motor rated at 300hp and 330tq that I road race and reliability has been outstanding. This is my You Tube link to see the car perform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgcdMBrHBqU

There were a few different versions of the LT1. All feature a cast iron block, with aluminum heads in the Y (Corvette) and F (Camaro) bodies, and cast iron heads in the B and D bodies. Corvette blocks had four-bolt main caps, while most other blocks were two-bolt main caps.

The 92-93 LT1s used speed density fuel management, batch-fire fuel injection and a dedicated engine control module (ECM). In 94 the LT1 switched to a mass airflow sensor and sequential port injection. A new, more capable computer controlled the transmission as well as the engine and got a new name: powertrain control module (PCM). Where the ECM held its calibration information in a replaceable chip, the PCM was reprogrammable through the diagnostic port.

The early Optispark distributor had durability problems and a revised version was introduced with vacuum vents to remove moisture, which can be added to the original version,[1] on the 1994 B-Bodies and in 1995 on the Y and F-Bodies. 1996 saw major revisions for OBD-II - a second catalytic converter on the F-body cars and rear oxygen sensors to monitor catalyst efficiency. Some OBD-II features had been added to the Corvette starting in 1994 for testing purposes.[citation needed] The 1997 model year Camaro and Firebird were the last year for this engine in a GM production car before it was replaced by the LS1, which was already in the Corvette for 1997.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

rockstone... welcome to Hotrodders.com

read the dates on threads when you search. You are posting to 5 yr old threads and some of the members have not logged in since 2005.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.