Mighty Demon 850 Full of Metal Shavings! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: iowa
Posts: 3
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mighty Demon 850 Full of Metal Shavings!

I recieved my Mighty Demon 850 from Jegs and opened it up to install .030 idle feed restrictors. Good thing I didnt put it on and try to run it, the thing was full of glitter and good sized shavings! I cleaned it all up and dug out pieces inside the metering blocks, replaced the idle feed restrictors and ran it. Runs good and idles clean as whistle. A guy gets lucky every now and then.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 AM
classicautoresto's Avatar
Rust Buster
 

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: lebanon, ky
Age: 47
Posts: 23
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
GOOD CATCH!!!!!!! Are you going to call and ream someone a new one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 06:37 AM
pepi's Avatar
How’s that hopey-changey thing
 
Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Georgia ... USA
Posts: 1,835
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man o man these carbs sure do sound like an interesting product. I guess I would be glad that the metal is to big to get to the cylinders. What the heck is with these companies and the ability to bring to the market a product that actually works as advertised. So much hype and so LITTLE quality, paying out 500 or so for the pleasure of taking apart a brand new part to verify the manufactures quality control is in a word POOR at the very least.
And I think they are made in the USA ........ think I am understanding why Summit dropped the product line, once I was thinking profit margin now I am starting to think differently.

Anyway they do LOOK nice on a display board at the Sema shows.. could make a nice planter for some yellow pansies, accented with purple ribbons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Camaro
I recieved my Mighty Demon 850 from Jegs and opened it up to install .030 idle feed restrictors. Good thing I didnt put it on and try to run it, the thing was full of glitter and good sized shavings! I cleaned it all up and dug out pieces inside the metering blocks, replaced the idle feed restrictors and ran it. Runs good and idles clean as whistle. A guy gets lucky every now and then.
Your first post on here and you are slamming us.... having not looked at the carb would really have to question this as I personally take many apart as part of our QC and am not seeing this since the changes were made well over a year ago. We have openly admitted to having past problems with shavings and listed all the the changes and steps that were taken to correct them on this and many other boards but I have to call foul with this being your first post on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sending you a pm as I would like to get some further information on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
meschnebly's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hudson, WI
Age: 61
Posts: 98
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Your first post on here and you are slamming us.... having not looked at the carb would really have to question this as I personally take many apart as part of our QC and am not seeing this since the changes were made well over a year ago. We have openly admitted to having past problems with shavings and listed all the the changes and steps that were taken to correct them on this and many other boards but I have to call foul with this being your first post on here.
So because this is his first post then he just has to be making this up? Maybe you should do a little reading around the internet about the thoughts on BG quality control. It cant all be just rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meschnebly
So because this is his first post then he just has to be making this up? Maybe you should do a little reading around the internet about the thoughts on BG quality control. It cant all be just rumors.
Not saying he is making it up but when you register on a site and you first post is trashing someone after you have fixed the part...come on now. I have been on many forums for years and dont do that nor do most others. He may have very well gotten an old carb or one that wasn't rotated or any number of issues for which I have sent him a pm to get more info but we would of at least liked to have had the opportunity to look at and correct it none the less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meschnebly
Maybe you should do a little reading around the internet about the thoughts on BG quality control. It cant all be just rumors.
Since you ARE reading them you should see that we do as well and try to respond to as many as possible. I see just as many regarding our competitors but what I do not see is them on here trying to correct the issues and help you guys out. Would you agree? We are at least on here and many others trying to help those when issues arise and taking notes of what customers have to say in an effort to improve our QC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
meschnebly's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hudson, WI
Age: 61
Posts: 98
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Since you ARE reading them you should see that we do as well and try to respond to as many as possible. I see just as many regarding our competitors but what I do not see is them on here trying to correct the issues and help you guys out. Would you agree? We are at least on here and many others trying to help those when issues arise and taking notes of what customers have to say in an effort to improve our QC.
Oh I agree. I see far fewer post about BG quality as I have in the past. When your products run right they are top notch. My problem was that it seemed to me that you were just discounting him as not credible because it was a first post. A lot of people here might just lurk and not post until they really have something going on to deal with. I've been a member here for a very long time but have very few posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meschnebly
Oh I agree. I see far fewer post about BG quality as I have in the past. When your products run right they are top notch. My problem was that it seemed to me that you were just discounting him as not credible because it was a first post. A lot of people here might just lurk and not post until they really have something going on to deal with. I've been a member here for a very long time but have very few posts.
I agree but most lurkers at least have a few posts regardless and I can tell you first hand on the shavings it seems most of the new stuff posted is about guys who had a problem a couple years back or am taking apart a couple year old carburetor. Not saying it is not going to happen but I haven't seen anything "full" of shavings in quite a long time now. As mentioned, sometimes inventory doesn't always get rotated or some shops do not have the volume as others and could have an older piece but one of the improvements we have made in our QC is for my department to randomly pull a carburetor off the line before it is shipped and pull it completely apart to inspect it and we have not been seeing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Rob Keller's Avatar
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!
 
Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Central Florida U.S.A.
Age: 48
Posts: 4,297
Wiki Edits: 38

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Your first post on here and you are slamming us.... having not looked at the carb would really have to question this as I personally take many apart as part of our QC and am not seeing this since the changes were made well over a year ago. We have openly admitted to having past problems with shavings and listed all the the changes and steps that were taken to correct them on this and many other boards but I have to call foul with this being your first post on here.

I have read & even introduced people onto HR.com & Our company reveiws , to post their experience & close to their 1st posts for a product .
show cars unlimited is one.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/just...ost920884.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/memb...ystepside.html

Maybe not his 1st post but its how we met.

BBC Camaro ;

Did you happen to take pixs?

Tech @ BG Thanks for working your business.



R
__________________
"SlowRide66"

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,914
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 14
Thanked 205 Times in 186 Posts
Hey, he caught it, fixed the problem, then said it runs nicely. Yes, it was a minor bash, but he also added a qualification - that now it runs nice.

Sounds to me Mr Tech support that you are just a bit touchy about KNOWN problems, present or past and need to maybe ask questions first before you blast a newbie and, by the way, thank him for the compliment about how it runs after he was able to clean it out.

Dave W
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM
classicautoresto's Avatar
Rust Buster
 

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: lebanon, ky
Age: 47
Posts: 23
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Hey, he caught it, fixed the problem, then said it runs nicely. Yes, it was a minor bash, but he also added a qualification - that now it runs nice.

Sounds to me Mr Tech support that you are just a bit touchy about KNOWN problems, present or past and need to maybe ask questions first before you blast a newbie and, by the way, thank him for the compliment about how it runs after he was able to clean it out.

Dave W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 PM
schnitz's Avatar
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wausau, Wisconsin, in a house...
Age: 40
Posts: 1,163
Wiki Edits: 54

Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again I'll post this. Type-written speech is very hard to distinguish author intent. Myself, I'd say this issue has been resolved in a very up front way. Unlike some others that have been beat to death in recent memory. No name calling, and better yet, a seemingly satisfied customer as an end result. Can it end better than that?


In a while, Chet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Basic of Basics" Welding - How do I repair body panels? Centerline Body - Exterior 33 03-31-2014 09:45 AM
Metal Finishing, let's talk about it. MARTINSR Body - Exterior 29 04-19-2011 08:47 PM
Welding Books Magnus_Jager General Rodding Tech 6 11-29-2005 03:57 PM
Full Bare Metal Paint Job Toolish Body - Exterior 9 09-23-2004 05:13 PM
Metal shavings in fresh rebuild ChevyIIMan Engine 48 07-25-2004 10:06 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.