MII Alignment? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

MII Alignment?

Hi All,

I have a new RCM Mustang II front clip under my '72 Maverick that's been aligned by "eyeball". I just ordered this caster/camber gauge from Speedway Motors and I have the spec's to go by, but which do I do first, caster or camber? I know the toe gets set last...

Thanks!

Russ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Last photo:

I don't know the answer, but I do know where you can get the front end set properly if he is still in business. The old Airport Gulf station across from the airport is where I took my 34. He did a great job and was really interested in my car. He is also a rodder.

Vince
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Camber first then caster then redo each till u are done. Seen on a vedeo , may be on this site but I am to tired to look. U must also check with wheels turned to see run out.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I don't know the answer, but I do know where you can get the front end set properly if he is still in business. The old Airport Gulf station across from the airport is where I took my 34. He did a great job and was really interested in my car. He is also a rodder.

Vince
Should have asked you first! <LOL> I'm leery of anyone ruining my fit/finish and decided to do it myself (as usual).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Camber first then caster then redo each till u are done. Seen on a vedeo , may be on this site but I am to tired to look. U must also check with wheels turned to see run out.
Good, thanks! I figured there'd be some "back and forth" between those two until it becomes right for both. Hopefully the magnetic gauge will have enough "stick" to hold to my billet wheels!

Thanks!

Russ
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Just wanted to post back with +++ results! I got the frontend aligned in about 2 hours (after spending the previous 3 hours setting the ride height). After some checking, it seems my RF corner was 1/2" low. On my Mustang II front clip (RCM), the coilovers need to be removed to get to the adjustable upper shock bracket bolts. After doing this 5 times (remove shock, adjust bracket, install shock, jack car, remove stands, jounce car, measure heights) over 3 hours, I finally got the heights right.

The gauge won't work with wheels on, so I had to measure the drop from the lower CA's to the floor and make some blocks to match. then jack the car and remove the wheels, then drop the car on the blocks so it's at ride height. Next, the dustcaps had to come off so the gauge would fit flush on the wheel. Now the actual alignment could be done. I ended up using +4 caster and -3/8 camber. This was pretty easy to do on 1 side, but harder to duplicate exactly on the other side. My setup has two slotted bolts per side and the A-arm nuts face up, so they're easy to get to.

Russ

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.