MII Pre alignment? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

MII Pre alignment?

I want to pre align my MII front end.. I have all stock components on an aftermarket crossmember kit.
Am I suposed to keep the upper A arm bolts parrellel to the centerline of the car or is this how the o* is achieved when setting caster?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have to tell you something, you really should know that the degree of angle the upper control arm shafts are at on a stock Mustang or something as a starting point. Then put it in your frame using that as a guide line.

Brian
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
I want to pre align my MII front end.. I have all stock components on an aftermarket crossmember kit.
Am I suposed to keep the upper A arm bolts parrellel to the centerline of the car or is this how the o* is achieved when setting caster?
Them bolts aren't always parallel with centerline.That's why the top holes are slotted. Hope this helps you.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Here is what I do for a pre-alignment. This will be close for the initial test drive until you can do a proper alignment.

Make sure the lower control arm is installed snug and the strut is fully tight if you have one on your car.

Start with the rear adjuster on the upper control arms. Loosen the nut and move the upper a-arm inboard until the edge of the shaft is even with the inner end of the slot on the frame and snug down the nut. You should still be able to move it more inboard later if necessary.

Set the car at ride height, and put a level vertically on the tire/wheel. Move the forward adjustment on the upper a-arm until the wheel is vertical at ride height to slightly in at the top. You will have to jack up the car and take the weight off the wheel to do this. Jack up the car, make the adjustment and then set it down to recheck. Do both sides the same.

Once all that is good, set the toe to about 1/8" in. Make certain the tie rods are the same length to start with, then set the toe. The easiest way to do this is to set a 2x4 against each tire with the car at ride height. Block up the 2x4's about 4" or so to get them past the bulge in the tire. Measure across the back of the tire to the 2x4 on the other side and get the dimension. Do the same across the fronts of the tires and subtract that dimension from the rear number. Adjust it until the number on the leading edge of the tire is 1/8" smaller than the trailing edge.

Tighten all the front end components at that point with the car sitting at ride height, and you will be ready for the test drive.

Andy
Old 02-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
The reason I suggested to check the degree of the upper control arm shafts is even though there is adjustement using the sloted holes, if you put it any where you want you could end up with not enough slot to get the proper caster. I have seen it, he had to get offset shafts to align the car.

Raising or lowering the rear can change things quite a bit as well.

Brian
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
The reason I suggested to check the degree of the upper control arm shafts is even though there is adjustement using the sloted holes, if you put it any where you want you could end up with not enough slot to get the proper caster. I have seen it, he had to get offset shafts to align the car.

Raising or lowering the rear can change things quite a bit as well.

Brian
If the crossmember and upper spring mounts are intalled properly, he should have no trouble getting 2.5 to 3 degrees positive caster when completed.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

You can very easily set everything,Everything can be set before you even put the tire on it.But as I see it here,Everybody has a answer, so good luck,I'm done here.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.