MII Spring hat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 03:31 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

MII Spring hat

So i want to insure i get my ride hieght correct the first time in fitting a MII kit on my car.

Fact

CAR: 1961 ford falcon wagon
ENGINE: '86 5.0L T-5

If i have 425 Lb springs how tall will the spring hat be from the lower control arm.

Because i understand it takes 425 lbs to compress the spring 1 inch but is that one spring both or am i just confusing my self....... seems to be a problem.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The spring rating is for one spring, you will need the spring unloaded free length to calculate the compressed length. Someone on here should have that figure, lots of MII front ends here.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Also, the load on the spring is greater than the load on the tire from the weight of the car. The moment for the force on the tire is the distance from the pivot of the lower A-arm to the center of the tire times the sprung weight on that corner of the car. The load on the spring is the moment on the tire divided by the distance from the lower A-arm pivot to the center of the spring. The proper way to set the suspension components is set the chassis at the attitude you want it running at; set the X-member in the chassis so the lower A-arm is parallel to the ground and the center of the X-member is level with the ground. The spring rate is the last item to design after the other components are installed properly. My guess is to start with the springs from a 6-cylinder MII. The engine in an MII is way over the wheel center so the springs will be a little stronger than you might suspect. You won't really know the final ride height until you have the car completely done with all the pieces in place and the loads on the springs complete. Only then will the final ride height be known. Rather than trying to calculate it, I find it easier to get a few junk yard sets of springs and cut and try. If a set of springs gets you close but the car is a little high, an inch or so, just torch off one loop on the spring. Won't harm the ride in the slightest and will get you the inch drop you need.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 03-15-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:17 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

ok thanks will make attempt this weekend

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.