Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   mild built t-350 shudders in gear.. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mild-built-t-350-shudders-gear-206997.html)

J0386 10-12-2011 11:26 PM

mild built t-350 shudders in gear..

Ok after getting the engine to run smooth now i think the trans is acting up ok it will run fine at slow take off but if i press on the gas when it goes to shift into second under load it will sputter and miss untill i let off the gas then it smooths out and runs fine :confused: gah if its not one thing its another..

its a SBC 350 mild build with hei, edelbrock intake, holley 650 carb, headers, dumps and small cam but have no idea the specs with a mild built th350 with a shiftkit and a 2800 stall

SSedan64 10-13-2011 04:31 AM

Are you sure this isn't an Ignition or Fuel problem?

J0386 10-14-2011 03:02 PM

dont think so i gave it a full tune up, changed plugs and wires got a new distributor cap and the fuel pressure reads fine i can red line it fine when in park or neutral with no misses or anything like that just when it gets under load from changing gears it will miss and sputter and want to die untill it downshifts back to first and also when im driving it and im cursing and i go to let off the gas it sounds like it stops running for like a split second but then it idles just fine...

Siggy_Freud 10-14-2011 03:44 PM

Does not sound transmission related to me. Just because it revs fine in park/neutral doesn't mean its a transmission/in-gear problem, it just means that whatever is occurring with your fuel and timing doesn't like that particular rpm/load combination.

I've never had a transmission problem, in my admittedly limited experience, present in such a way.

J0386 10-14-2011 05:03 PM

I searched anddoind someone else having the same.problem as me and his was distributor relatedand said that if he unhooked his vac. Advance it would run fine but of I unhook money it still acts the same so im thinking that the distributor might be to blame?

SSedan64 10-14-2011 07:36 PM

Sounds like a bad Coil or Fuel supply problem.
Have you checked the fuel pressure while driving?
Strainer Sock in Tank clogged?
Water in Tank?

J0386 10-19-2011 12:52 PM

Ok I took the module out of the distributor and had it tested and everything is fine even tried it with the vacuum advanced unhooked and it made no difference as for the fuel I cleaned out the fuel cell and put fresh gas in it and it still has the problem and for the psi when I tested it with the ebreak on and in gear and gave it a little gas to move a few feet the fuel psi dident change from 5 same as in idle and park

454mikey 10-19-2011 01:12 PM

mild built t-350 shudders in gear

Sounds to me like your mechanical advance is stuck or you might have a bad pickup coil in dist. Common problems with old HEI's.