mild street ss 454 truck what should i do next - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mild street ss 454 truck what should i do next

hey guys im back. cam break in was good. everything has gone smooth other than the 700r4 going out. i have th400 3800 stall going in. now this is my combo and id like to know whats holding me back and what i should go with.

Weiand inntake, hooker super comp headers, 049 heads milled .040 stock valves non ported, magnum 280 cam, Mallory distributor, have dished pistons if i has to guess id say 8.7to1 cr, quick fuel 600 cfm carb, tru dual 3 in with single chamber Flowmaster, stock ratio roller rockers stock springs and push rods. im looking for what i can change that would free up most power.

i know the carb is killing me. but how many ponies is it really killing???

will i gain so much with just a carb swap??

I'm looking at quick fuel 950 or holley dominator 1050 i don't want to over carb. but id like to get one big enough to grow in to. eventually id like the motor to end up either 468 or 489. but that's in the long run.

how much will i pick up dropping dome pistons on there?

I'm really looking for what can better my setup and not braking the bank i didn't think this motor was going to be dished pistons. i thought it would be flat tops. witch is what im used to in the LSx motors.. some one ran im guessing a computer dyno and it states 357hp @4500rpm 522tq @2500rpm i want my power lever at around 440 450 naturally aspirated.

these are my other options that id love to do. nitrous blower or turbo. in that same order is my interest.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 AM

use an 850 HP Holley. Later you can port the carb if you need more.
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
ss454lemy (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 AM

Last journal entry: finally got the engine home

3800 stall behind a motor that's giving up at 4500-5000???? IMHO, that's too much stall. install a temp gauge for the tranny, just to keep an eye on the fluid temp. if it gets hot, you'll be pullin the tranny back out. a 2000-2500 should be plenty. are you running those stock valve springs just for the cam break in??? btw, glad to hear your cam break in went well. you should get the springs that comps recommend for that cam. see if you can find a cheap 3310 holley 750. you can always resale it if it doesn't work out. get a vacuum secondary spring kit, tune it and it'll work out just fine. I pulled a 3310 780 off a well built 460 that was shifted at 6000 everyday. it feed that big block fine, until the owner went blower, then he put a 1050 on it. you should find a 3310 on craigs list, $150-$250. take care, rick
The Following User Says Thank You to jax_pap For This Useful Post:
ss454lemy (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax_pap View Post
3800 stall behind a motor that's giving up at 4500-5000???? IMHO, that's too much stall. install a temp gauge for the tranny, just to keep an eye on the fluid temp. if it gets hot, you'll be pullin the tranny back out. a 2000-2500 should be plenty. are you running those stock valve springs just for the cam break in??? btw, glad to hear your cam break in went well. you should get the springs that comps recommend for that cam. see if you can find a cheap 3310 holley 750. you can always resale it if it doesn't work out. get a vacuum secondary spring kit, tune it and it'll work out just fine. I pulled a 3310 780 off a well built 460 that was shifted at 6000 everyday. it feed that big block fine, until the owner went blower, then he put a 1050 on it. you should find a 3310 on craigs list, $150-$250. take care, rick
i cant seem to find any on Craig's i have a 750 vac secondaries but it leaking fuel my uncle rebuilt it and still leaking. so i don't want to use that carb. i seen dominators for 450 on Craig's. i know the stall is a little high. i had that set up in my old ls1 set up. but that's what i got for now. its an FTI real tight nitrous converter it would foot brake about 3000 on my old set up. it was set up for a 300 shot 410 gear 3800 pound car 400 hp natural aspirated. they told me i should be good with the springs i have on it. im not sure if there stock the guy i bought the heads from told me he had a cam in the car when he pulled the heads. he pull them for aluminum ones. i rather have a manual instead of the vs.

will the carb free up some power?
how much you think its holding me back?
evryone has told me to run an 850 on the minimum.
truck feels good for a daily but id like to get the most of what i already have.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 AM

A brand new custom built 850 should cost around $630-$650,built to fit your combination.The bigger carb should be good for close to 1/2 a second if you were to race 1/4s over what you describe you are now using
ss454lemy (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
A brand new custom built 850 should cost around $630-$650,built to fit your combination.The bigger carb should be good for close to 1/2 a second if you were to race 1/4s over what you describe you are now using
intake is fine everything else it fine?? carb is what holding me back right now?i really was looking in to a team g intake 4500 with a dominator or this would be to much? the weiand is ported to gaskets. oh something i left out ita actually a 462ci it was bored .040
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

that's what i been looking at

Quick Fuel Q-950K Quick Fuel Q-Series Carburetors - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 AM
More for Less Racer

Bigger carb would be fine....950....but you certainly don't need a Dominator, even if you build a 489. I don't know, but can you even get a Team G Dominator intake in Oval port?? I think the Dom stuff is all going to be Rectangle port.

Right now the stock heads with stock valve sizes and no porting are holding you back the most, and if the springs are stock they aren't going to work either, for long.

Starting from a poor base engine you have, and trying to upgrade one thing at a time is just going to be an endless frustrating hunt. It need heads, cam, pistons, intake, carb upgrades all at one time, as a cohesive matched plan, to ever see good results...otherwise every one at a time part upgrade is a compromise....not too big for today's set-up ends up too small for tomorrow's upgrade,.... or the next one,..... or the next.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (04-15-2014), vinniekq2 (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
Bigger carb would be fine....950....but you certainly don't need a Dominator, even if you build a 489. I don't know, but can you even get a Team G Dominator intake in Oval port?? I think the Dom stuff is all going to be Rectangle port.

Right now the stock heads with stock valve sizes and no porting are holding you back the most, and if the springs are stock they aren't going to work either, for long.

Starting from a poor base engine you have, and trying to upgrade one thing at a time is just going to be an endless frustrating hunt. It need heads, cam, pistons, intake, carb upgrades all at one time, as a cohesive matched plan, to ever see good results...otherwise every one at a time part upgrade is a compromise....not too big for today's set-up ends up too small for tomorrow's upgrade,.... or the next one,..... or the next.
what do u mean?? this motor was completely stock when i got it ur telling me i put together a poor build ?????? this is all the stuff that i have heard are the best for a street machine and ur telling me i have poor engine wow u just screwed me all up. like fore real! the motor is making more power by far i have done mostly everything everyone on here has told me exept the carb witch is what im looking to get. only thing people have told me that i did not do was port polish and valves. because its expensive to add all of that on these stock heads witch i think might be too much money to poor in to stock heads.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

as for the team g i seen one on Craig's for oval port set up not sure if its a 4500 but i think that what i saw
Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM
More for Less Racer

You can get a Team G for Oval port and a standard 4150 base Holley, but I don't know about a 4500 base and Oval port....Most times Dominator intakes are for BIG stuff with BIG rectangle port heads.

Engine you have is fine now, could have used head work to be better...but to try to add pistons means more involved work and machine costs, along with a different cam, which leads to needing bigger heads to get the most from it, which means bigger intake too....and then you are getting to the point stock crank and/or 2-bolt main caps aren't strong enough.

Do you see what I'm trying to say about trying to upgrade just one thing at a time....you will always be making a compromise with the next piece you add so as to not be too far out for the engine as is, and then said part won't be right for when you want to go bigger with some other part.

You would be better off to put a bigger carb on what you have...then plan to buy either another block and build a hot engine and swap it in, or buy a bunch of parts slowly over time but don't install them, wait until you have all the right parts to do one big upgrade on you existing block all at once - heads, cam, stroker crank, good rods, higher compression pistons, machine work for all of it..... and install it all at once.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
ss454lemy (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
You can get a Team G for Oval port and a standard 4150 base Holley, but I don't know about a 4500 base and Oval port....Most times Dominator intakes are for BIG stuff with BIG rectangle port heads.

Engine you have is fine now, could have used head work to be better...but to try to add pistons means more involved work and machine costs, along with a different cam, which leads to needing bigger heads to get the most from it, which means bigger intake too....and then you are getting to the point stock crank and/or 2-bolt main caps aren't strong enough.

Do you see what I'm trying to say about trying to upgrade just one thing at a time....you will always be making a compromise with the next piece you add so as to not be too far out for the engine as is, and then said part won't be right for when you want to go bigger with some other part.

You would be better off to put a bigger carb on what you have...then plan to buy either another block and build a hot engine and swap it in, or buy a bunch of parts slowly over time but don't install them, wait until you have all the right parts to do one big upgrade on you existing block all at once - heads, cam, stroker crank, good rods, higher compression pistons, machine work for all of it..... and install it all at once.
so then that's what i saw 4150 oval port team g. this is a budget build and im hunting for 450 not going crazy with it and trying to get 700hp naturaly. im asking because my combo is not making what i would like. some guy trying to help me pout told me he would run my set up in sim 5 and the results were 357hp 522tq id like my hp to come up a bit more

WOULD YOU THINK that the carb change can give me a drastic change? i know the exhaust did. im trying to get in to the 400 hp i say this truck with 400hp and 100 shot would be a nice truck to scare some. thats all im asking for from these big 462ci. it was no problem getting there with my old ls don't understand these big low comp motors....

thanks for ur help so far
Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM

ss454,Ive answered already the questions you continue to ask.Eric just posted that you need everything to make a hot engine,,,and I told you the same thing on your last thread before.I told you that you could get over 300 plus CFM flow from your heads with port work and valves,,,
What did you do? you planed the heads?
I mentioned in this thread to buy an 850 HP custom built and that you would likely pick up 1/2 second in the 1/4, that 40 plus HP!!! same price for a 950(with in a few dollars) I use a 950 on my sbc.
the engine you have is low compression,flat tappet cam,and under carbed!

fix those 3 items for a decent street engine and the heads for a good street engine. Right now you have a great tow truck engine or tow vehicle engine.you left a 100 hp on the table
techinspector1 (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
ss454,Ive answered already the questions you continue to ask.Eric just posted that you need everything to make a hot engine,,,and I told you the same thing on your last thread before.I told you that you could get over 300 plus CFM flow from your heads with port work and valves,,,
What did you do? you planed the heads?
I mentioned in this thread to buy an 850 HP custom built and that you would likely pick up 1/2 second in the 1/4, that 40 plus HP!!! same price for a 950(with in a few dollars) I use a 950 on my sbc.
the engine you have is low compression,flat tappet cam,and under carbed!

fix those 3 items for a decent street engine and the heads for a good street engine. Right now you have a great tow truck engine or tow vehicle engine.you left a 100 hp on the table
sorry i knew i had had the question answered but didn't remember where.

so... if im going to buy imma buy once and get the 950 quick fuel and go from there. for what i saw i would be better off getting some aluminum heads for the prices they were asking me to port polish and bigger valves. i didn't find anything under 1200 bucks i think i can find a set of aluminum ones at that price....
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 PM

BB aluminum heads are 2 grand,buy the HP from Pat at the carb shop or equal place. I paid $600.00 to the door for a custom 950,,,,not $800 from Jegs and then need to tune it
ss454lemy (04-16-2014)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.