Hot Rod Forum banner

a Mildew in the distributer??

916 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dhomsey 
#1 ·
I keep my car in the garage always. never drive in the rain (no wipers). Took it in the shop for work and noticed light green color on the metal inside the distributer cap? 455 engine 13:1 compression. I drive it a little almost everyday. mechanic asked if it sits outside and how often do I drive? anyone know what would cause this and any solution? Thanks again. ( i owned the car for 10 months and never checked this)

#7 ·
orangef4 said:
If it's just on the metal, it's corrosion. Just clean it up with some steel wool or similar.

Doc here, :pimp:

DO NOT use STEEL WOOL or metallic grinding of any kind!!!!

If it is an HEI, or other Magnetic Pickup type of trigger, You will end up with slivers of steel stuck to the magnetic parts and it will trigger all over the place as the rotator star turns! (Akin to having points that fire anywhere they want..)

You may be getting Condensation UP the shaft from the crankcase, settling inside the cap..you just may want to consider pulling the Dizzy and inspecting it for end play and runout..AND while you have it out..Media blast it.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.