Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mildew smell, floor pad soaked.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Mildew smell, floor pad soaked.

For the last year or so the truck has had a very strong smell and I had always assumed it was anti-freeze smell from a leaking heater core. Well, today I was working on replacing the parking brake cable in my Silverado today and I noticed the pad under the drivers side floor was wet and I now know that's not the problem because I removed the seats, vinyl floor and the pad underneath and found the source of the smell. The pad under the front drivers side was soaked and the pad under the drivers side of the extended cab was damp. We removed the pad and sprayed it with a light bleach solution then left it to air dry. We also scrubbed the underside of the vinyl and the bare floor of the cab with the bleach solution. After that we sealed a loose plug in the floor that looks like it was letting road spray off the front tire make its way into the cab. It's all going back together tomorrow and I'm wondering what I can do to neutralize any remaining smell. The truck itself smells much better but the section of the pad that was wet still has a strong smell. Is there anything I can treat the pad with before I lay it down? How about the rest of the interior and the air vents?