Mileage out of Roloc discs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,251 Posts
Mileage out of Roloc discs

I have been using 3M green 3 inch 50 grit Roloc discs to finish my welds but don't seem to get a lot of mileage out of them.

Are there tricks to the trade that any one can share? Is it better to use very high speed or maybe a lower speed with more pressure? Are there other products you guys would recommend?

What I have been doing is using a 3 inch cut off disc to get the weld ground down close to what I need and finishing with the Roloc disc but it is time consuming as well as expensive.

It just goes against my grain to use up a 1.50 cent Roloc every 10 minutes.

You guys remember now I prefer the word frugal over cheap.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 PM

They won't last long for that job. Get a flap wheel and a 4.5 inch grinder.
You'll get a better finish that way too.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

John, I'm a huge 3M fan as I'm sure you know...but when I use that small grinding disc, I prefer the Norton Blue stripper. I thought for a long time that I was using the 3M disc wrong, thought about it and I was using the Norton blue coarser 7 inch grinding disc because I found it worked better...tried the Norton smaller disc and they are cheaper and I get about twice the, as you said, mileage. I've been using the Norton for years now and I also prefer the Norton Blue long board strips in the coarser grits as well...sheet roll paper, all 3M.

Oh, tresi, the larger disc and the flapper wheel are a good idea, sometimes that little disc just hits the spot.

Give it a try...the Norton will be less money, even if they only last as long.

Hope this helps you John
Old 10-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I have been using 3M green 3 inch 50 grit Roloc discs to finish my welds but don't seem to get a lot of mileage out of them.

Are there tricks to the trade that any one can share? Is it better to use very high speed or maybe a lower speed with more pressure? Are there other products you guys would recommend?

What I have been doing is using a 3 inch cut off disc to get the weld ground down close to what I need and finishing with the Roloc disc but it is time consuming as well as expensive.

It just goes against my grain to use up a 1.50 cent Roloc every 10 minutes.

You guys remember now I prefer the word frugal over cheap.

John
Believe it or not the answer could possibly be on the Harbor Freight Coupon thread! I told you there to go out and buy yourself a quality die grinder and angle grinder. The cheap ones require you to work completely different sort of "polishing" the metal because the tool has no torque, it has not torque and no RPM and you wear discs out more because they are "polishing" instead of cutting.
You can also get a 2" backing for the discs and cut the 3" down having a new edge to use.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
The flapper disc also does a great job, just got one my self and it's pretty neat. Again, I sprung for a Makita ($160) and it kicks butt!

Brian
Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 AM

Last photo:

Roloc disc mileage

Hi John,
What thickness cut-off wheel are you using? 3M makes a "cut-off" wheel that is 1/4" thick which is perfect for grinding down welds. Although not all jobbers carry that size, so you may have to have yours order them. This is what I used when I did prof. bodywork, and still use as a hobbyist today. I believe that Ron Covell metal man extraordinaire also uses these to dress down welds. Just a few words of caution, ALWAYS wear eye protection, and cover anything that may be damaged by flying sparks, 'cause it definitely throws HOT sparks.
Hope that helps , Rick
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

x3 on the 50 grit flapper
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Owner View Post
Hi John,
What thickness cut-off wheel are you using? 3M makes a "cut-off" wheel that is 1/4" thick which is perfect for grinding down welds. Although not all jobbers carry that size, so you may have to have yours order them. This is what I used when I did prof. bodywork, and still use as a hobbyist today. I believe that Ron Covell metal man extraordinaire also uses these to dress down welds. Just a few words of caution, ALWAYS wear eye protection, and cover anything that may be damaged by flying sparks, 'cause it definitely throws HOT sparks.
Hope that helps , Rick
I did not know they made them Rick. I am using 1/16 discs now. 1/4 inch might be the perfect thing. The flapping wheels do a really pretty job but they also remove a lot of the thickness of the sheetmetal adjacent to the weld. They make very small ones but I have not used anything smaller than 4 1/2 inch ones.

One of my mirrors on the roadster is pitted right now because I got careless with a grinder. I need to pull the windshield out of the BelAir before I go much further. It is not perfect but I don't want to ruin it either.

John
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

A light touch with the flapwheel will let you get the raised weld without taking down the surrounding material too much. For me it's easier to control than a rigid disc.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
A light touch with the flapwheel will let you get the raised weld without taking down the surrounding material too much. For me it's easier to control than a rigid disc.
I do have 4 1/2 Norton Blue Stripper flap disc that I may play with.

John
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

flappers are great but they can over heat the metal. Things will turn blue on you in an instant due to high RPM's that mostly all 4.5" angle grinders have. A few of them out there have a variable speed dial which eliminates that but most do not. I always told myself once I get a variable speed one I'll use it a lot but never got around to it. I will wait it out and look for a used one on CL and then dump my current one there afterwards. Til then, I'm doing things more on the air side.

As for the roloc discs, Norton blaze gives you a bang for your buck. I also use a cut off wheel to break it down. Just look at it this way, the less warpage you have welding the less time knocking down edges of welds.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Hey Tech, I hate to disagree with you, but I've been using flappers for years (since they came out) and never have a problem with warping.
A lot depends on how heavy ya lay into it and stay in 1 spot.
Can usually (95% of the time) dresseout a weld and just epoxy prime and block.
Of course I've been @ this sheet metal game B4 you were a sparkle in your daddy's eye .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
flappers are great but they can over heat the metal. Things will turn blue on you in an instant due to high RPM's that mostly all 4.5" angle grinders have. A few of them out there have a variable speed dial which eliminates that but most do not. I always told myself once I get a variable speed one I'll use it a lot but never got around to it. I will wait it out and look for a used one on CL and then dump my current one there afterwards. Til then, I'm doing things more on the air side.

As for the roloc discs, Norton blaze gives you a bang for your buck. I also use a cut off wheel to break it down. Just look at it this way, the less warpage you have welding the less time knocking down edges of welds.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Owner View Post
Hi John,
Hope that helps , Rick
I use these for cutting down welds its more a small grinding stone than a cutoff wheel I use two on two dedicated
HF die grinders one is used and smaller that'll fit in tighter spots..For doing a lot of welds I'll use the bigger 4 1/2" side grinder with a stone...I NEVER start off grinding ANY welds with any type of disc,always a stone.
I do all the dressing up with grinding discs and when it comes time to use the rol-locsI have four or five HF angle die grinders with smaller and smaller backing pads each tool is dedicated to that particular backing pad.I start off using a new roloc and when it wears down I put it on the next (smaller ) pad and trim of the edge and it works like new again,the smallest pad is about the size of the plastic thats glued on the roloc (about the size of a dime.You wouldn't believe how useful that one is....
Now ,Ya'll can say what you want about HF tools and I'd agree most times but these die grinders are a life saver and save so much time by having a dedicated one for each tool I dont waste time changing anything or looking around for the tool to change them,I just grab the one I need and go
These same die grinders and backing pads work very well with the roloc stripping cookies,just trim the edge and put it on the next smaller one...I've got a whole drawer full of HF die grinders and all I can say is its great ,I love them,its a very efficient way to dress your metal work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6007.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	966.0 KB
ID:	91810  
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

You and I are basically doing the same thing Mike but I did not know the cut off wheels came in 1/4 inch thickness until I opened this thread. I ordered 5 Green Corps 3/16 ones last night and will look forward to trying them. The thicker ones should be great.

If one of you guys could give me the part number for the 1/4 inch ones I would love to have it. 3/16 was the thickest I found.

John
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You and I are basically doing the same thing Mike but I did not know the cut off wheels came in 1/4 inch thickness until I opened this thread. I ordered 5 Green Corps 3/16 ones last night and will look forward to trying them. The thicker ones should be great.

If one of you guys could give me the part number for the 1/4 inch ones I would love to have it. 3/16 was the thickest I found.

John
I believe there's only one size ,John... well..... that one and the thinner cut off wheel

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.