military members and prior service men - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2003, 01:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

military members and prior service men

i just checked some of my recent post and the first thing that jumped out at me was the grattitude for me being in the service. i am very humbled to know that everyone cares but as Americans we must not praise me but praise all who have worked so hard to make this country what it is today. i notice that alot of people who responded to my post "i hate sand---im back!" were prior service. if anyone is in the sercvice now they know that the us military has come along way from where it used to be. in that sense im afraid i cant accept your "thank you's". but rather turn those thanks over to all the prior service men who has made the military a great place to be. but they didnt stop their-they then got out and helped to make this forum(along with non prior service men)the best bunch of technical info on the net. if it wasnt for this forum i would have never seen the beauty of turning metal into reciprocating mass(horsepower). i also would have never joined the service in search of a mechanical engineering degree.(the military pays for my schooling). so thanks to all the people on this forum that got me off the couch and onto a road for success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 06:44 AM
Proud American

Well Crank I can't take any credit for helping to put you on the road to sucsess, but as a prior service Marine I want to thank you for your comments and your service to your country ( that is something you deserve thanks for). I am greatful for both. thank you.
Tom
Old 07-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

This marvelous county we live in is here solely to men like you with the vision and commitment to an ideal unknown in the eons of human history - Freedom. What is there not to be thankful for when it come to guys like you?
Old 07-23-2003, 05:23 PM

Talking

Good goin' crank, I let my GI Bill expire, kids in school and all. I don't regret not using it, I retired from the AF workin' flightline on fighters and bombers. Now I work on Helos for the Coast Guard. From bombing and strafing to rescuing. Funny how life turns around. Thanks for servin', ALL of youse guys. One thing about X GIs, we are all different from them, we are changed forever, whether you did time or were a lifer. Now it's play time.
Loud cars, loud music and louder women.
If it's too loud, you're too old!!!
Str8 pipes forever.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Be American, Buy American!

THANK YOU

Thank God for people like you. I say a prayer everyday for our President and the leaders of OUR GREAT NATION. and for the military services. I served 22 years in the Army and I am very proud to say that I am an American. I fly the flag every day on a twenty foot flagpole on my front lawn. I live just outside the gates of Fort Sam Houston, Texas and can hear the cannon at retreat. Although I left the military 17 years ago, if I am outdoors during retreat I face the direction of the flag and stand at attention. It gives me pride to honor all those that are now serving and that have served our country in the past. Praise God for our FREEDOM that is not free, but that has a very high price tag. It is paid with blood, sweat, tears, pain, lonelyness and the most sacred of all, lives.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
ONE NATION UNDER GOD WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

aL

Can we get an american flag on our smilies board???
Old 07-24-2003, 01:41 AM

Last photo:

i do thank you and all that have served this country, helping to insure our freedom that most of us take for granted.

if you or anyone that has posted on this thread have any spare time, could any of you please pm me or just post right here ANY of the pros or cons you remember from being in the millitary?
i posted a thread about it but really didn't get any real good information on the subject.
i am looking to join the NAVY here pretty soon due to my life not going the way i want it to and it would be great to hear some truth instead of just what they tell you on the sites.

please do reply and thank you all again for making this country what it is today-- GREAT
Old 07-24-2003, 04:16 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Hence the phrase, "Brothers in Arms" There is only one way into this club. You got to join and do what ya gatta do!
Old 07-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Proud American

AKM, I spent 8 yrs in the Marine Corps. 6 yrs. on active duty and 2 yrs. in the reserves.I even spent some time in the A F reserves.
I really didn't care for the reserves all that much but I really loved my time on active duty in the Corps. I know your looking for pros and cons,but I can't give you any cons because the whole time I was in was a positve experience for me. Everything I am and everything I have I owe to my time in the Marine Corps.Well and my father.If wasn't for the way he brought me up I very likely would not have made it through boot camp. lol. Now I'll give you the same advice I give to everyone who asks me about going into the service. Keep your mouth shut, do EXACTLY what your told when your told to do it and NEVER give up on yourself. Never quit no matter what, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how tired you are, no matter how tuff they are on you. Never give up. Period. Even if you get in there and find out you don't like it. Make the most of the time you're in. (The people who have the worst time are the ones who find out they don't like it and just give up). And study you ***** off. Never give anyone the chance to say you don't know your job. Never let anyone work harder than you.If your really want to do this do it right. No half stepping. And one last thing always conduct yourself with Honor, Integrity and Pride. This is something no one can ever take away from you.
SEMPER FI
Tom
Old 07-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by straight6nova67
AKM, I spent 8 yrs in the Marine Corps. 6 yrs. on active duty and 2 yrs. in the reserves.I even spent some time in the A F reserves.
I really didn't care for the reserves all that much but I really loved my time on active duty in the Corps. I know your looking for pros and cons,but I can't give you any cons because the whole time I was in was a positve experience for me. Everything I am and everything I have I owe to my time in the Marine Corps.Well and my father.If wasn't for the way he brought me up I very likely would not have made it through boot camp. lol. Now I'll give you the same advice I give to everyone who asks me about going into the service. Keep your mouth shut, do EXACTLY what your told when your told to do it and NEVER give up on yourself. Never quit no matter what, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how tired you are, no matter how tuff they are on you. Never give up. Period. Even if you get in there and find out you don't like it. Make the most of the time you're in. (The people who have the worst time are the ones who find out they don't like it and just give up). And study you ***** off. Never give anyone the chance to say you don't know your job. Never let anyone work harder than you.If your really want to do this do it right. No half stepping. And one last thing always conduct yourself with Honor, Integrity and Pride. This is something no one can ever take away from you.
SEMPER FI
Tom
Sounds like the rules of life...and it is!
Old 07-25-2003, 01:53 AM

On 14AUG03 I will have been a bomb loader in the Air Force 16 years. I do not regret one minute of that time. I was in Desert Storm, went back for Operation Southern Watch, and went to Turkey for Operation Provide Comfort. I've also "visited" other various *****holes on this planet. After the 9/11 attacks our pilots flew alot of combat air patrols in the US. I wanted to go to Afgahnistan or Iraq sooooooooo bad I couldn't stand myself. It took one retiree to make me realize what those CAP's really meant. The way he explained was that those who never served or never will serve can still have that right and go back to be being complacent about their security because that person knows we are busting ***** to make sure we don't get caught with our pants down again.

"If it wasn't for bomb loaders, the Air Force would be another airline!"
Old 07-25-2003, 02:34 AM
Proud American

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Sounds like the rules of life...and it is!
Very true 4Jaw very true.
Tom
Old 07-25-2003, 04:11 AM
Be American, Buy American!

Talking Pros and Cons

Hi AKM,
when you read my other reply on this thread you will see that I am a very proud American who served 22 years in the Army. First off you will be called all sorts of names, yelled at, cussed out, awakened in the middle of the night to go on suprise manuvers. You will be invited to attend mandatory GI parties at least once a week, sometimes more often. All this is in the first 8 weeks known as boot camp or basic training. This is all for discipline training, It is not meant to put you down or to discourge you. It is meant to get everyone to do the same things exactly the same way. Uniformity is the secret to winning wars, saving lives and protecting this great country. It sounds bad but in reality its not all that bad. After you graduate from boot camp or basic training and Advanced Individual training (AIT). The work you do is just like going to work on a regular job. Its all up to you as to how well you do your work to achieve advancement in rank. With increased rank comes increased responsibility, with increased responsibility comes stability. Take as many schools of training as you can because that is the main factor that will get rapid promotions for you.

You did not say what you would like to train for so I can't give you any specifics about what you might want to do as a career. I was in the medical field which is a good field in the military as well as in the civillian world.

If you Have achieved a good GPA in high school and want to go to college before entering the military, talk with your recruiter about the military paying your way through school. Some specialities are in high demand and the government will pay all your expenses plus give you a living expense. WOW all you have to do after graduation from school is spent the required time as set forth in your contract in the service of your choice.

You don't have to stay for 20 years if you don't want to but there is a lot of benefits that go with it.

Good luck to you. If you have any questions you may ask me, if I do not know the answer at the time, I will do my best to get an answer for you.

Al
Old 07-25-2003, 04:30 AM

Last photo:

I was a British soldier for exactly 20 years and 214 days but what is worth remembering is that soldiers only do their job when all else fails. Lets not forget the people who work for and keep the peace every minute of every day who don't wear a uniform or carry a weapon.

AKM, Joining any service is no good if you don't have the right state of mind or the right reasons in the first place. Do you really want to join or are you fed up with the way your life is?. Think carefully about it, but if you do join here's the best advice I can give you:
Be prepared for anything and prepare for everything.
And keep smiling.

What ever you decide, best of luck

Hellz
Certa Cito.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:13 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I spent a total of six years in the US Navy and an very proud of the time that I spent. If you decide to go into the Navy go with an open mind and learn all that you possibly can, do not talk back to the instructors as if you know more than them, but ask question in a respectful manner and you will be suprised at how helpful that they are. I was stationed in San Diego aboard a distroyer for a couple of years and in the reserves for the rest of the time. I did get to travel a bit, I made 2 western Pacific cruises that included Hawaii four or five times, the Phillipines, Hong Kong, Sigapore, Japan, Guam, Tiawan, and the hot spot of the worlk Misawa(sp) Ethopia in the fall of 73 (during one of the many Arab Israeli wars). The whole thing is an experience I will value for my entire life, it gets you into an exclusive club which is now more appreciated in this country more that it was 30 years ago when I did my service. If you do go in enjoy and learn. My 2 cents worth.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:37 AM

Last photo:

AKM, I can't tell you to join or not. As a Vietnam Vet 18 months in that forbidden hole.
Boot camp. They'll be over you. Feels like they hate you. But all there doing is training you. Getting you ready for war. If one breaks out.

One big question.... Are you willing to die for your country?
Are you willing to leave your family behind for a year? Some branches you have to have 1 year overseas.

As for the Vietnam Vets, some of us came home not the same as we left. We also got treated like **** when we did get gome. (the ones that made it home). You Vietnam Vets know what i'm talking about.
Hopefully there will never be a war like Vietnam again. Looking at the way our country treats our servicemen now.

AKM, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. just trying to open your eyes and mind.
What ever you do. GOOD LUCK. If you do join. We all will be behind you.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.