milling stud bosses with Hogan cutter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

milling stud bosses with Hogan cutter

Magnetic Drill Models HMD904 / HMD904S / HMD904K / HMD904C

I been contemplating installing screw in stud in my 062 vortec heads. I thought about purchasing the comp cams stud boss cutter but then starting thinking about using a Hogan cutter. I have access to one of these from borrowing from employer. My thought was drilling a heavy plate to bolt to the existing rocker stud and doing one boss at a time. I might have to use a couple different size bits to get the boss milled completely depending on the size of the boss thickness on each side of the rocker stud hole.

I'm not saying I won't/wouldn't purchase the comp cams cutter but doing it this way would save some money. What's your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMD904-swivel-mag-drill.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	131145  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 01:26 PM
More for Less Racer

It's a bunch of time fabbing up a angle plate to bolt to the intake manifold face of the head and be the correct angle to match the studs for the Mag drill to sit on....but it could be done. Just depends on how much time you want to invest making one. I'd use 3/8" plate,and probably 3 gussets to prevent flex and chatter.

I can't see a way to get it solid enough on any kind of plate bolted to the stock rocker studs though, The Mag drill is heavy, equal to or heavier than the head itself.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

I didn't even think about a plate bolted to the intake bolts. You got me thinking now. Thinking it'd be better bolted to the exhaust bolts to expand the use of the plate to non vortec heads for future use. Hmmmmm......
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
I didn't even think about a plate bolted to the intake bolts. You got me thinking now. Thinking it'd be better bolted to the exhaust bolts to expand the use of the plate to non vortec heads for future use. Hmmmmm......
Sure might be better that way...I didn't even think about the Vortec pattern, I was thinking older SBC pattern on intake face.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM
More for Less Racer

Reason I thought intake side is years ago I fabbed a plate bolted to intake port face to allow head to sit at the correct angle on a drill press table and do threading/boss milling work.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
Reason I thought intake side is years ago I fabbed a plate bolted to intake port face to allow head to sit at the correct angle on a drill press table and do threading/boss milling work.
That is the simplest correct way.. Use a drill press and a Blair/Hogan cutter bit that just covers the OD of the boss. Cut to dimension. Then take a sharp small chisel to break off the small amount of material left around the guide hole. Usually snaps off clean with very little hand file work to finesse the job// I have made a leveling jig for the head from 2x6 lumber, deck screws and a couple of C-clamps
Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Started working on the plate/jig after work. I got the plate that bolts to the exhaust side fabbed up. It took me some time to get all the holes in the correct spots. The first plate I made I just stuck my calipers in the bolt holes then added 3/8 inch to get center-center but that didn't work to well. It took me a minute to figure out what I did wrong but then realized I was losing the thread depth in my measurements. So I threaded some inch and a half bolts in the holes then measured the shank of the bolt. The two center bolts I drilled to three eights then the four outer bolts I drilled to 25/64ths. Plate bolted up fine then.

I have an old 882 laying around that I'm going to do a test run on. I figured I'd do every other stud then lay a straight edge along the studs to see how close I am.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.