Milodon oil pan...7 qt w/ filter or + filter? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 11:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Milodon oil pan...7 qt w/ filter or + filter?

Stupid question, really.....but this is my first aftermarket oil pan.

Here's the deal: I just installed a Milodon 7 quart oil pan (#30900) on my small block Chevy. Milodon says the oil pan has a 7 quart capacity, but is this with the oil filter or should I add the extra quart of oil for the filter?

The reason I'm asking is because I filled the engine with exactly 7 quarts, filter INCLUDED, and the dipstick shows the level to be on the "add 1 quart" line. But this is a cheap chrome dipstick so I'm not sure if it's correct or not.

So, my question is: Is the 7 quart capacity with or without the filter?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

funny you should ask, I just put that same pan on my motor and filled it with oil yesterday. Mine is reading a little over full with 7quarts in the pan and the filter pre-filled. Don't forget some oil sits up top and is expected to be in the galleys.

Plus or minus one quart is probably not a big deal. Fill it up, run it, check it, and if its a bit high don't worry about it-

K
Old 07-05-2004, 06:48 AM
84 Z28 Convertible

Last photo:

I have the exact same pan it's the pan that holds seven qts. What I do is fill the oil filter before installing it and than add the seven quarts in the pan. Now check your dip stick and make a new marking for the 7qts. Remember the dip stick is based on a 5qt pan.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

DTL504 is right. Both Milodon and Moroso (I have had both), told me to fill the 7 quart pan to the rated capacity. However, both companies told me to figure 8 quarts in the system. I fill the filter, install the balance along with 7 quarts into the engine. Ed www.edgesz28.com.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by DTL504
I have the exact same pan it's the pan that holds seven qts. What I do is fill the oil filter before installing it and than add the seven quarts in the pan. Now check your dip stick and make a new marking for the 7qts. Remember the dip stick is based on a 5qt pan.
Yes, but the oil level should still come up to the same level on the stick regardless of how much oil the pan holds... that's why the pan has a deeper sump! The distance from the top of the deck to the oil level should never change, you don't want to fill a bunch of extra oil and have it ride up on your crank and get whipped around!

K
Old 07-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Both companies instructed me to mark the stick with the new level mark, regardless if higher then the original "full" level mark. If you install a 7 quart pan (less filter) and it only takes six quarts to fill it to the original "full" mark, then either the stick is inaccurate or it is not a 7 quart pan. Either Milodon and Moroso are false advertising, or you need to mark the stick as they both instruct.

Before I installed my pans, I filled them with 7 quarts of water and checked the level to the gasket surface. Then I compared that distance to the distance the crank weights extend below the gasket surface. With a full seven quarts in the pan, the level will not even hit my Diamond Stripper windage try. Both companies told me that by the time the oil is sucked into the system with the engine running, you do not have to worry about oil levels hitting the rotating assembly.

I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations, especially when competitors agree with the same issue. Ed. www.edgesz28.com
Old 07-05-2004, 10:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I will go with the "7 quarts in the pan and a full filter" -route.

Thanks.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.