Mini Alternator??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mini Alternator???

I have a situation that leaves VERY little room for an alternator.I have been doing some research and have narrowed the choices down to either a "super mini" drag race alternator or a Geo Metro altenator. The drag race altenator comes in a 100AMP version while the Geo altenator is only a 50 AMP unit.

I drive a lot on the street, but I don't have a stereo, AC, power anything. I do have dual electric fans, eletronic ignition, electric fuel pump. Will th 50 AMP Geo altenator be enough to handle the load? Will the drag race altenator live on the street? Are there other options that I am missing?

After a little more research it looks like I will need more than 50 amps. Any opinions or suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Try one of the small Mitsubishi alternators, available in 100 amps.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

BOB,
Where would I find one of those? Meaning, you know how the parts stores are these days. I will need to know the make and model of the car or they won't be able to find anything. Maybe a Honda? I think I will run out to my local pick and pull and do a little climbing around.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Yes Honda's are a good source. So are the others(Toyota, Subaru, Nissan). Sorry I can't really tell any specific years or models. My parts guys are pro's that have been in the business since the 60's so I just tell them what I need and they go back and bring one off the shelf and nine times out of ten it's usable. Thats why I tell the guys on this forum to shop real auto parts stores, not the big franchises, if you are building something special where year make model and vin code are irrelevant.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

I hear ya Bob. We only have one "real" auto store in town the rest are the franchise type.

I just go t back from the wrecking yard and pulled two alternators. One from an Acura Legend with power everything and another from a Suzuki/geo type car. I think the one from the Acura will work. Once I figure out how and where to mount it I will take it to my local alternator/starter shop and have it checked out. for $23 I had to buy two, New they are $200. Hopefully they can pull it apart and I can polish the case.

Thanks for your input.

Royce
Old 03-10-2004, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Now I have a question, it has a lug for the battery cable and a plug with 4 wires (GM usually has two). Any idea how to connect this thing to my wiring harness? Of course I have the plug and wires, just need to know which ones I have to use and which ones need to be jumpered.

Thanks,
Royce
Old 03-11-2004, 01:46 AM

Last photo:

is it low hood clearance?
someone makes an alternator bracket that sets it way down low on the drivers side.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:07 AM

Last photo:

The problem was I have a blower on the engine, with the new short water pump my old home made mount (down low on the passenger side) would no longer work. I did not like any of the after market stuff (mounts way to high). I ended up making a mount for the drivers side (very low), but I also had to use a smaller alternator (steering arm and column wee interfering). I modified the steering shaft and now the alternator is mounted. I just need to figure out how to wire the darn thing and I am in business.

Thanks
Royce
Old 03-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Hey camaroman. I have the same issues as you with my alt. I bought a 100 amp GM 1 wire before I realized it though. By biggest prob is that I'm planning on running block plates instead of side mounts. My motor is high enough to just mount the alt REALLY low, but I was wondering if are running plates, or if you have any pics of what you are gonna run so I can get some ideas. I asked my Uncle, and he told me to just run it off the drive line since that's what he did, but just the thought of that makes me leary.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

I ended up taking an alternator off of a Acura Legend, it is a small Nippon Denso. I also ended up making my own mount, down low on the driver side. I have some pictures posted here: http://community.webshots.com/user/camaroman7d

Look in the album that says "New Engine" If you don't see what you need let me know and I will take a few pictures. As mentioned above there are a few places that make them, I just figured it would be less hassle to make my own. That way I could put it exactly where I wanted it.

Royce

Edit: The wiring was not a big deal either.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Im using the same alternator on my setup. how did you wire it? thanks!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.