Hot Rod Forum banner

Mini-Rod

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  pickler91 
#1 ·
i have decided to start building a mini hot-rod, ive got an old cub-cadet riding lawn mower that im going to use, im going to lower it, and widen the frame, so i can put the shifter next to my leg, instead of bvetween them, maybe even make a little header on it, i dreampt this up last night, and decided to go through with it after reading another post, i think itll be fun

gimme any suggestions youve got, any pictures, this might be a fun lil show cruiser.

Dillon

#4 ·
so far i have a few designs, my favorite is along the lines of a t-bucket with a small truck bed on the back, i figure i could use this for going down to the hardware store, and look pretty cool doing it. i stopped at a yardsale this afternoon and picked up an old transmission for a mower, it goes to a chain drive from the verticle shaft engine, i may use that, or ill find a gear drive for the kohler engine thats in it. i also found my tires today, there small garden tires, with red rims, now all i have to find is some baby-moon hubcaps that'll fit. now all i have to do is stop dreaming and get to work. ill keep you posted.

Dillon :pimp:

#7 ·
pickler91 said:
i have decided to start building a mini hot-rod, I've got an old cub-cadet riding lawn mower that im going to use, im going to lower it, and widen the frame, so i can put the shifter next to my leg, instead of between them, maybe even make a little header on it, i dreampt this up last night, and decided to go through with it after reading another post, i think it'll be fun

gimme any suggestions you've got, any pictures, this might be a fun lil show cruiser.

Dillon
There is a national riding lawn mower race association that have all kinds of fun stuff going on.....they have some really fast hot rod mowers with pictures and speeds up over 50mph. Have fun with the project.

#9 ·
When I was a kid there was a mini T powered by a Crosley motor at a near by wrecking yard. It was there for years and years, just sitting out on the line. It was so damn cool, probably be worth a mint today. As I remember it was built pretty good.

Just get an idea and draw it out. Make one piece at a time and next thing you know it will be done.

Brian

#10 ·
iceburgh, very nice

i have started framing the body up, and i found a body design that suits my likings, im using the poles from a pair of crutches from when i broke my leg last year. im going to build a mock up body using leftover wood from when we re-did our kitchen last year. and save some of the wood for the little bed on the truck. i will start the framework as soon as i finish cleaning the barn out, its 4800 sq. feet and we've managed to fill it in the last 6 years. ill post some pictures as soon as possible.

as for flipping the front end, i have done it before, i lowered an old mower when i was 13, it was pretty cool, and it flew, i have since thought about how im going to do this one, what ill do, is remover the triangular axel-brackets from underneath, and weld them to the top, and maybe figure out some way to put some snowmobile shocks on it. so it'll ride like a caddy :D

for sheet-metal, i have an old refrigerator that is solid as a rock, ill take the cut-off to it and hack some panels out. i also have an old piece of diamondplate steel that i may use for the fire-wall.

for the windshield ill go down to the hardware and get a scrap piece of plexi-glass for free. the old lady likes me down their :thumbup:

i have an old pair of Hella Halogen lamps that ill use for headlights.

floor will probably be plywood for a while, the bench seat will be very comfy with a burlap cover, and the old hurst shift knob from my dads old GTO will go very nice.

Thanks everybody for your help and ideas, ill keep you posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.