mini spools, do they work? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2002, 10:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post mini spools, do they work?

I have been hearing a lot about mini spools lately and how great they work. Mainly because they are easy and fast to put in and give you posi traction in little time. Is this all true? Does anyone have any advice or guidance. I have a 10 bolt, 8.5" rearend in my 81 camaro. Next spring I am installing 4.10's or 4.11's, will the minispool work ok with these gears? Thanks, Bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A mini spool locks the axle together, there is no posi traction action at all. Best used at the track not on the street. Mini spools are the weakest compared to a full spool, If your going to run it on the street use a full spool and get some <a href="http://www.artmorrison.com/F_Axles.htm" target="_blank">Strange</a> axles because you'll twist the factory junk.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:43 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Actually, the term "posi traction" is used to refer to a limited slip rear end. A mini spool (or spool) is a true positive traction -- like a solid go-kart axle. Both tires spin at the same speed at all times. The mini spool fits in a standard differential carrier and takes the place of the spider gears. Limited slip (most commonly referred to as posi traction) has clutches that lets one wheel turn faster than the other in a curve. Only when one wheel spins substantially faster than the other will it lock up.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:10 AM

So you wouldnt use this on the street. Basically, its an in town driver, maybe to the track once twice a month for fun. I dont want limited slip (posi), I hate one wheel wonders. I dont have a lot of money, will the mini work for now, then when i am more financially sound, get the full spool. Thanks, Bill
Old 09-17-2002, 11:11 AM

So you wouldnt use this on the street. Basically, its an in town driver, maybe to the track once twice a month for fun. I dont want limited slip (posi), I hate one wheel wonders. I dont have a lot of money, will the mini work for now, then when i am more financially sound, get the full spool. Eventually I will give the car a complete restore and spend the money right on it. Thanks, Bill
Old 09-17-2002, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

A mini spool is a dirt track part,and with good reason.Locking the rear axles on a sticky tired drag car means that everything in between the tires must be strong as heck,or it will all come apart when you make a few sharp turns.A real spool is incredibly strong,and is usually mated to larger the stock diameter axles.In the case of your GM rear,the axles are retained by C Clips in the center of the rear,and if an axle were to snap that wheel would exit the car in a hurry.You can fit stock axles with C Clip eliminators{I had them on my 12 bolt back in the day},but the right way to do it is to run large spline aftermarket axles and C Clip eliminators{which make a C Clip type rear into a bolt in axle setup}are the way to go.If you wanted to try something trick for the street,you could hack the ends off an 8.5" 10 bolt from a mid 80's fullsize car that had factory bolt in axles,and put those ends onto your C Clip type housing and have axles made to fit it all together.As for the mini spool,they work on dirt because dirt guys slide around turns with both tires spinning free,and they dont really put much stress on the rear axles.If you dont really care about your rear axle housing or how it would get trashed with an axle failure,you could make do with a mini spool,but I would run C Clip eliminators no matter which type of spool you use.You would have had to splurge for a set if you had went the full spool route,but this way you are saving a few bucks.As for a posi,A mini spool is not a posi,and it will not alow the tires to unlock from each other around turns like a posi allows,so you need to be prepared to own an ill handling car that will want to kill you in the rain.Otherwise good luck.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.