mini starter sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

mini starter sbc

Hey! I'M Mark. Is it possible to change rotation on a mini starter 4 sbc? I acquired this weber starter 4 my 85 vette, seems to me like rotation is off. if i could reverse it would match bendix & rotation of my L98 SB. I'm a first timer on a forum, So bear with me i will catch on.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaspen View Post
Hey! I'M Mark. Is it possible to change rotation on a mini starter 4 sbc? I acquired this weber starter 4 my 85 vette, seems to me like rotation is off. if i could reverse it would match bendix & rotation of my L98 SB. I'm a first timer on a forum, So bear with me i will catch on.
I myself have never heard of doing a reverse effect on any starter to change rotaation, but i am alway's learning and if anyone does know they will chime in and let you/us know. IMHO it's should be the same unless i'm missing something here between the L98 SB and a 1985 corvette sb engine.

Cole
Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaspen View Post
A DC motor will run backwards if the polarity is reversed, but it would take a lot of goofing up to ground the hot terminal and to somehow run power through the case. Then once on the vehicle... suffice to say you'd have major electrical problems!

If the starter really IS running backwards, either it's the wrong application (marine engine, circle track race, etc.) or it's faulty.

If you bought it at a parts store or anyplace where it can be returned, get another one- if it's really running backwards.

But now, what makes you believe it's running reversed? Does the engine try to spin in reverse? Or is there some other problem? Was the starter originally for your vehicle?

The correct rotation is shown below. You can run jumper cables to it to power it up for a second (hold it tightly- it'll jump when you hit it w/power!) to see:

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-07-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A lot of marine starters run reverse rotation Never saw any one run a starter backwards C.C.W. on a clockwise rotating engine I'm with Cobalt and Cole ? in the early 50s if you hooked up a battery backwards the engines would rotate in reverse C.C.W. when cranked to start and fire and run in C.W. rotation but that was because of a mistake and wiring was simple! in later years with the sophistication of 12 v or higher electrical systems I don't think it can be done without damage to your system!! I'm interested in the answers your going to get

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 07-07-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The circle track reverse rotation starters are mounted backwards from how a normal starter is mounted for better weight distribution. It points towards the rear of the vehicle instead of the front and takes a special bellhouse. The nose is such that it couldn't be bolted to a Chevy block, though- it would need to have been converted to a block-mount starter nose by someone who didn't realize the starter spun backwards. Long shot, but I'm sure it's happened somewhere. Most likely it's a marine starter. IF it is really spinning backwards.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

So to the OP asking if you can take a starter that is turning counter clockwise and make it turn clockwise and then be able to run it on your vette, looks to me like you need to just get the correct starter to begin with.

Cole

Tags
reverse rotation, starter

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.