mini-tub or not? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

mini-tub or not?

hey everyone wats up..i have a 62 nova that is completely stock right now...im going to do a complete resto on it. I am ripping out the rear end and sticking a ford 9" back there to take the 383 i am building. I need to kno what the biggest tire I can fit under the well is if I move the springs inward...I want to put at least an 8" tire, nothing less. Will this be possible with no mini tub, or frame rail relocation.....
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 09:42 PM

I've been told that a mini tub is not necessary if you move the springs inward. Or you could go with a TCI rear setup and for sure wouldn't have to tub it.
You might check out Stevesnovasite .com for some better answers.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 PM

ya, i am purchasing a 4-bar setup from checkered racing...i believe i caould fit an 8.5 to 9" tire
thanks for the reply
Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

I don't understand why anyone building anything would just take someones word for something, especially someone they have never meet, will most-likely never meet, and have no way to know if the individual even knows what he is talking about. It just mystifies me..

Look get the info for yourself. It's your car and your money if things don't work out. Jegs or Summit Racing both sell a great little tire/wheel fitting tool. It's call the WheelRite wheel and tire simulator. I have one and the thing works great, and best of all you can tweek things so you get the best wheel/tire combo. There are just too many considerations to take into account, when you make such a broad statement as" what the biggest tire/wheel combo that will fit on my car" You yourself know how silly it sounds to ask for that type of advise when there are so many variable that you who has the car sitting there can figure it out. How would anyone else do it any better??? Get the Wheelrite and know for certain.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:19 PM

hey man i wasnt looking for a lecture....i know wats goin on..im just tryin to get others input, that might have done or worked on the same application as me.. and to suggest that i dont do any research, thats what hotrodders is about right? and that i do in fact take "strangers" advice to the shop is ridiculous...just tryin to get the full spectrum of it.sorry i mystified you.. I dont think that i am taking anyones word to the death..haha like I wouldnt be doing a ****load of my own measuring or research before starting on something like this...I dont just go from the computer to the tools with my dick in my hand...u could have just mentioned the wheel gauge, without wasting your own time by typing up that other smart *** ****....so if i were u, i would think twice next time about sending this kind of reply to someone who doesnt want bull**** either.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Making more friends, Yknot?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

hey yknot, ,,,,,,,this is what this site is about, to ask questions, and get some advice
Old 02-13-2007, 05:44 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

mini tub or not?

I have owned several of those early nova's,and it is pretty hard to fit any decent sized tire under the stock fenderwells.I solved the problem on my 64 by radiusing the rear quarters and putting an olds rear end under it.You wont really gain much by moving the springs,there just isnt much room under there. Are you going to keep the stock front suspension? they are really hard to get to handle decent,and I am a front end man,and I had one hell of a time keeping mine aligned properly.of course your 62 would have 4 lug wheels and really small drum brakes,not a good combination for a hot rod.now that I have rambled on,Yes I would recommend mini tubs. Yes you will have to relocate the rear rails also.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

To tub or not to tub, that is the question!

I understand you want the opinion of people who have been there...I know I am NOT making the decision for you..thank you for asking before you start cutting. I would not tub, after having tubbed my 64 and 65 chevelles and finishing a 53 chevy that was tubbed I would not tub the Nova. Have the Ford 9" cut to fit your body. You may have to fit the wheels and tires and possibly move the rear axle mount inboard to allow the biggest tires up under the body. We are here to share our knowledge so don't let one sour guys opinion keep you from ASKING FOR ANY HELP.

Tazz

Last edited by tm454; 02-22-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm454
I understand you want the opinion of people who have been there...I know I am NOT making the decision for you..thank you for asking before you start cutting. I would not tub, after having tubbed my 64 and 65 chevelles and finishing a 53 chevy that was tubbed I would not tub the Nova. Have the Ford 9" cut to fit your body. You may have to fit the wheels and tires and possibly move the rear axle mount inboard to allow the biggest tires up under the body. We are here to share our knowledge so don't let one sour guys opinion keep you form ASKING FOR ANY HELP.

Tazz
thanks i appreciate it a lot....im not going to tub. im going to have that 9 inch cut to where i can fit the biggest possible tire....8 or 8.5 i think, while moving the leaf springs inward.
thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista-nova
ya, i am purchasing a 4-bar setup from checkered racing...i believe i caould fit an 8.5 to 9" tire
thanks for the reply
Please keep us posted on the rear clip.
I had one of their front clips but sold it before I got a chance to test it out. Looked like a pretty good piece.
My project got put on the back buner for a while, but now it's back on. So now I'm thinking of getting another Checkered Racing front clip and one of their rear setups as well. I'd like to hear how yours goes.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWayne
Please keep us posted on the rear clip.
I had one of their front clips but sold it before I got a chance to test it out. Looked like a pretty good piece.
My project got put on the back buner for a while, but now it's back on. So now I'm thinking of getting another Checkered Racing front clip and one of their rear setups as well. I'd like to hear how yours goes.
well actually now im going the cheaper route in the rear, as just moving the leafs inward, keeping the monos, and putting a pair of slapper bars...the rearend is going to be a heavy duty currie 9-inch, 4:11 posi from eaton and richmond, a set of currie 31 spline axles, and a set of wilwood disc brakes
but i am heavily thinking about the checkered racing front clip...the price for everything, 1995.95 i think it is is unbeatable.....ive also bin looking at mustang two front clips wat do u think
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista-nova
well actually now im going the cheaper route in the rear, as just moving the leafs inward, keeping the monos, and putting a pair of slapper bars...the rearend is going to be a heavy duty currie 9-inch, 4:11 posi from eaton and richmond, a set of currie 31 spline axles, and a set of wilwood disc brakes
but i am heavily thinking about the checkered racing front clip...the price for everything, 1995.95 i think it is is unbeatable.....ive also bin looking at mustang two front clips wat do u think
For the price it's hard to beat. I really liked the look of it, just didn't have time to finish it. But I'll be ordering another one real soon.
I've heard of people moving the springs inward, but I'm not sure how it's done? Are you using a set of subframe connectors with the spring pearches built in, and offset hangers?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

just checking back

Glad to see WE were able to help you..don't know what the knot-head's problem is/was..some guys forget/or don't know that we are here to help each other, not put someone down for asking the other members a question important to our build. As a LONG standing members of this site I offer to help you any member with my experiences in Rod building!

Tazz
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Last journal entry: car is painted
Last photo:

Just an FYI. An S10 8.5" 10 bolt is a close fit and is actually quite strong.

Forget slapper bars and get a set of caltracs.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.