mini tubbing a 73 nova - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Do you feel like we do?

Wiki Edits: 0

mini tubbing a 73 nova

ive got a 73 nova and i want to mini tub it. would i be able to use the stock spring location and fit a 10'' wide rim under there? im not looking to change the axle either. but ill do what i have to. i was wanting to fit 18x10 low pro tires. id appreciate the help, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Never owned a 73 Nova ... but there are companies which make a kit to move the springs inward. I have installed a few of those kits under the 68 to 72 Novas. Works good and gives plenty of room for 10 inch wide tires.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

I have a '73 nova with 10.5" x 30" tires and NO mintubs.

there is no inner wheel well (where a mini-tub would go) rework, beyond bending a lip inward and hammering bulges in the sheet metal.

You'll run out of room with the stock shock location and then the stock leaf spring location before you need mini tubs.

Do you know the actual size of the 18x10 tires? (diameter and section width corresponding to the rim width you plan on using) A 30" diameter tire can fit with enough clearance for street use with some hammer work, anything shorter and you gain clearance in the front and back of the wheel well and the outer wheel well lip.

You can gain clearance on the outer wheel tub by rolling the sheet metal lip in. The old school trick was use an old baseball bat. I rolled the metal by starting with trimming the outer sheet metal lip and bending upward with vice grips all the way around wheel well. Then using progressively larger sized deep sockets and a 1/2" drive ratchet, I rolled the sockets between the tire and body.

Try searching this forum, as this topic has been discussed before. Try the thread below for a no cost neat tool you can make to measure tire clearance and wheel backspacing.
backspacing question

If you can get the rim you want with the right backspacing, it makes things allot easier. One more thing, check both driver and passenger sides. I can almost guarantee they will differ on spacing.

Last edited by novajohnb; 10-12-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 AM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

Forgot to add, you mentioned stock leaf spring location. A 10" wide tire is close to the stock spring, but streetable with the right backspacing. The tires hit the shocks before the leaf springs. Like Deuce mentioned, moving the shocks inboard is needed on the really big tires.

Also, 73&74 nova rear frames and inner/outer wheel wells are the same as '68-72.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.