mininum piston to head clearance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

mininum piston to head clearance

all new parts drag only sbc stroker crank 6" rods je pistons, 12 to 1 flat top vortec headed steel rods. how too close is .020?

Advertisement

Last edited by ballsout1; 11-03-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Optimum is .040. Back in the day many were setup at .020 and closer. But pistons get real close to the head, from piston rock, if the pistons are set up old school.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Take into consideration the clearance on mains,rods,wristpin,piston rock & add them all up,then subtract that from .020.Then whatever that # comes up to,take a feeler guage blade of that size & look @ it good.Then think of Dirty Harry when he asks the guy,"Do you feel lucky today???" that's with everything brand new & tite befor any wear or carbon build up on the piston & head.Have you also ckd piston to valve clearance with cam of choice.They say .035 to .045 is optimum.For me .035 would be too tite.LOL.When you say Vortec head,are you talking L31 cast iron heads with 12:1 CR? I'm somewhat conservative,but,i'd say you are definitely an optimist of highest degree,or,have grapefruits for cahooona's !!! Or however you spell it !!! Honestly tho,.027 is about the tightest I've realisticly heard of.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 PM

vortec heads and drag racing?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

I've seen .032" tap the head. You are way past the danger zone with .020". When the engine heats up, you'll have even less....
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerZ71 View Post
cahooona's !!! Or however you spell it !!!
Urban Dictionary: cojones
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
jokerZ71 (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsout1 View Post
all new parts drag only sbc stroker crank 6" rods je pistons, 12 to 1 flat top vortec headed steel rods. how too close is .020?
If you're a big bucks competitive racer that uses engines to win and throws them away when they don't then .020 on a steel rod is acceptable practice.

If you're not one of those nor expect this engine isn't going to make you one, then .035 to .040 is a lot safer. It takes a lot of care and measurement to run .020, it can be and is done but there's no space for error youre assemby thechniques must be pristine and accurate to the gnat's.

The issue is not only clearance stack up from the main though the rod bearings to journals, but also pin, but the forgotten one is piston rock as it rolls over the pin on the thrust moments that take up the skirt to wall clearance. The looser the motor is set up the higher the risk of running out of piston to head space once you get to and certainly under oh-thirtyfive.

Don't forget to check how close the valves get to the piston as well.

Bogie
Old 11-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
The issue is not only clearance stack up from the main though the rod bearings to journals, but also pin, but the forgotten one is piston rock as it rolls over the pin on the thrust moments that take up the skirt to wall clearance. The looser the motor is set up the higher the risk of running out of piston to head space once you get to and certainly under oh-thirtyfive.
Bogie
Bogie, I have seen this argument many times and every time I wonder if there really is any piston rock in the direction that would make the squish tighter. As the piston comes up the bore, there is (theoretically) the same pressure across the entire crown of the piston. This would seem to stabilize the piston in relation to rock. Now, as the crown comes closer to the head, the squish space begins to minimize and we have a higher pressure over the squish area, which theoretically should push down on the crown on the side opposite the chamber and increase the clearance between the crown and the underside of the head. Am I making any sense here?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bump to top....
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

I've built quite a few SBC 358 oval racing engines that have rules mandating flat top pistons and 62cc heads, so getting all the compression there is to get is important. I shoot for 0.025 for piston to head clearance and have run it that tight many times. The pistons do kiss the heads as they stay completely clean in the quench area. These engines are turned about 7800RPM, use Crower cranks, Oliver rods and JE pistons. If I were you, I would mill off about 0.015 in the areas of the piston of concern.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
More for Less Racer

Tightest I've been is .034", it just polishes the carbon off the piston tops but no actual metal contact. Engine is 383 Chevy,11.4 to 1 compression, Scat 3.75" stroke cast crank, 5.7" Eagle SIR rods (stock look) pressed pins, TRW forged flat top pistons at .0035" wall clearance, .0025" rod bearing clearance, run to 7600 rpm drag/street/strip.

Generally consider .040" as plenty tight for this type of use. You are way too tight at .020".
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Bogie, I have seen this argument many times and every time I wonder if there really is any piston rock in the direction that would make the squish tighter. As the piston comes up the bore, there is (theoretically) the same pressure across the entire crown of the piston. This would seem to stabilize the piston in relation to rock. Now, as the crown comes closer to the head, the squish space begins to minimize and we have a higher pressure over the squish area, which theoretically should push down on the crown on the side opposite the chamber and increase the clearance between the crown and the underside of the head. Am I making any sense here?
You know I've seen collisions when the clearance is really tight but exactly what the cause is in the running engine I can't say I know. I do, when checking during assembly, push the outboard side of the piston down with a dial indicator mounted on squish/quench side to see how much angular rise it gets to be when the skirt clearance is taken up. But that's a cold engine where the clearances are greater than at any other time. I add that, allbeit small amount, to the the sum of the bearing clearances of mains, rod and pin though the pin is more theoretical than a real measure. Plus you can;t even get to load deflections of the block and crank. But I'm trying to get to worse case situation at least dimensonally. But we all know that what's going on in the running engine is going to be all different not only from the cold dimension up in the shop but from moment to moment with all the movements the entire assembly makes and how the block is supported and with solid mounts how it reacts to the forces put into it by the frame. So doing what I can in the shop with the understanting that it doesn't reflecct the real world. Everytime I see slow motion photography of a running engine reacting to all these strains, I'm amazed they work at all let alone work well.
In the end all this fretting over tiny details may just be a waste of time, I just can't convince myself of that yet.

Bogie
Old 11-09-2013, 06:20 PM

if nothing else this will bumpertothetop.. 383 motor runs 6300 tops through the lights. parts got a season on them eagle rods and scat crank, je pistons. not sure what the vortec and drag racing comments were about but i bought it that way and car goes 6.80`s @ 98. anyways what prompted to thread was i had some .015 gaskets around and i checked the distance in the hole and it varied between .006 and .010. actually it varied on some of the same pistons measured on the outside edge vs inside. realistically i figured on the verdict here and i`m gonna shoot for .032 on the tighter ones. theres a wealth of knowledge on this site and i know dealing with mechanical stuff can always go wrong but everybodys input was welcome.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 PM

post a drag video,would love to see it go.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.