Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - minor ? - wet sanding vs color sanding
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
What is an interface pad? I have a number of different pads for my D/A (rated by color for the different "grits" of compound or polish one would use) and also pads made of different materials (foam and wool) but I don't recall any being referred to as an interface pad.

Also, do you use, or would you recommend, this same procedure even in the event of fairly substantial orange peel in the clear coat? I would assume you take some sort of special care around any edges or sharp curves to prevent the D/A from burning through. Could you talk about that as well?
A interface pad is about a 1/2 inch thick pad that is placed between the sand paper and D/A. This pad is for sanding not buffing. The pad is there to reduce the possibility of burning through the paint. I personaly stay about a 1/4 inch from any edges when using the 6 inch D/A. I follow up with a smaller 3 inch D/A using the same method that i used with the 6 inch. 3M and Norton make all materials I mentioned before in 3 and 6 inch.

When it comes to sanding out orange peel, it depends on how bad the orange peel is. If its a small spot or if I know i can knock it out quick I'll go ahead and sand it out using the process Im writing about. If the orange peel is to bad. I would just go back over the the clear with 600 grit to scuff it back up and shot another layer of clear. I know it sounds crazy, but from personal experince it so much quicker and more then likely you will sand into the base trying to get the orange peel out. I hope this helps some. If not. ask