mirror like reflection on metallic paint jobs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mirror like reflection on metallic paint jobs

somebody once said

Adam's Polishes Forums - View Single Post - No Mirror Shine
"Capturing a mirror like reflection picture in a heavily metallic paint job, especially silver is like trying to catch swordfish in the desert Bill... there usually isn't one!

The characteristics of metallic silver are going to be more of a 'glare' than a reflection. Just like you won't see 'deep' reflections in white paint, but you will in black"

Im trying to reproduce the reflection I get from black into a realistic metalic paint job(or at least try to get close) 2 stage bc/cc just dont look right to me, single stage metallic looks closer, not having a fine grained metalic down here in Nicaragua doesnt help either...

nice reflection on bc/cc black..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

To be able to see clear sharp reflections, you need two things... a dark backgound color for contrast... and a veeeery slick finish! The sharpest images will come from a sanded and buffed finish.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

basically no mottling and as TusconJay says a good cutting and rubbing. We're talking no orange peel and buffed out well. None of this start polishing over haze crap. I'm talking a deep gloss and just a few swirls before you even switch over to a polish or swirl remover. THEN you will have a deep gloss and it will actually enrich the color. Not sure how to describe it other than to say it pops and has a lot more sheen than your average new car.

This can never be achieved with single stage and if it can it will most likely be short lived. Not very ideal to cut and rub a SS metallic either.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

You can clearcoat a single stage like a good urethane and get
any finish you want, the color will be richer too.
It will also be more durable than basecoat that's been clearcoated
because it's all urethane, color and clear.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

thank you guys for your help, but I guess I didnt ask the correct question, what Im after is a realistic as possible metallic coat, and Bc/CC metallic just doent look right, its not natural, it looks to be too glossy but not natrualy reflective as hand polished metal, have you seen how weird chrome looks after being clear coat it? too glossy but the natural reflection of chrome is not there once you clear coat it, single stage metallic looks more natural but still is not as reflective as I wish it was,

I did this piece yesterday,

this is what I did, before applying the single stage metallic I did 2 coats of single stage glossy black, went heavy on the thinner on the metallic(2 coats) seems like the gloss from the black is some how leaking thru the matallic, I did this using nothing by enamel, next time Ill try an even glossier black and make a comparison between how one should spray single stage metallic and the process mentioned above
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

ok guys after afew more days, I went back to the same piece and buff it out and it has the natural shine I was looking for...

some pics...

videos

Realistic Metal 1b - YouTube
"> Realistic Metal 1b - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Realist Metallic 1c - YouTube
"> Realist Metallic 1c - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 AM

Last photo:

guys now after lots of research seems that what I was looking for and what I came with its basically the harley davidson 2003 anniversary edition silver paint(black basecoat and see thrue silver)... cool...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think you've replicated what is marketed as "chrome paint". Basically the black is what is giving the vivid mirror reflection and the silver colored coat gives it the apprerence of chrome. I think the issue with silver is the size of the flakes. The larger the flakes, the more the reflection is dispersed. The silver on my hot rod has large flakes so the reflections are "foggy", but when looked at from an angle, the polished clear finish reflects the image clearly. But the larger flakes really pop in the sunlight and really sparkle.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I think you've replicated what is marketed as "chrome paint". Basically the black is what is giving the vivid mirror reflection and the silver colored coat gives it the apprerence of chrome. I think the issue with silver is the size of the flakes. The larger the flakes, the more the reflection is dispersed. The silver on my hot rod has large flakes so the reflections are "foggy", but when looked at from an angle, the polished clear finish reflects the image clearly. But the larger flakes really pop in the sunlight and really sparkle.
I think you are on the spot, and so true on the size of the metal flakes, I think I could get better results with smaller sized flakes and even shiner black base...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.