Misfire, but where? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

just a comment on the side conversation on the electric fans.. if your electric fans are running while you are moving, they are doing more harm then good...

once the air speed through the radiator from the vehicle moving, exceeds the air speed generated by the fan blades, they actually begin to restrict air flow!

I have a 160 t-stat, and as long as I'm doing more then 25mph, the engine will run 160 all day long... I have (1) two speed fan, and a smaller single speed fan.. so I use two controllers.. the first controller turns the big fan on 'low' and the small fan on at the same time.. at 190... the 2nd controller brings the big fan up to high speed if I make it to 220F.

With this setup, I can generally sit at a traffic light for a minute or two and the fans won't come on.. and if they do, they turn off almost as soon as I start moving again. (my controllers have temp probes in the fins of the radiator) .. before upgraded to a 110A CS-130 style alternator.. I used to have voltage issues with two electric fans running at idle. which is what originally prompted me to play around with the fan settings...

then, since I don't' have a/c.. I use the a/c control wire with a toggle switch to force the fans on when I want them.. (like sitting in the staging lanes at the track, and I dont' want the engine at 190F when I'm getting ready to make a pass!)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8oye View Post
just a comment on the side conversation on the electric fans.. if your electric fans are running while you are moving, they are doing more harm then good...

once the air speed through the radiator from the vehicle moving, exceeds the air speed generated by the fan blades, they actually begin to restrict air flow!

I have a 160 t-stat, and as long as I'm doing more then 25mph, the engine will run 160 all day long... I have (1) two speed fan, and a smaller single speed fan.. so I use two controllers.. the first controller turns the big fan on 'low' and the small fan on at the same time.. at 190... the 2nd controller brings the big fan up to high speed if I make it to 220F.

With this setup, I can generally sit at a traffic light for a minute or two and the fans won't come on.. and if they do, they turn off almost as soon as I start moving again. (my controllers have temp probes in the fins of the radiator) .. before upgraded to a 110A CS-130 style alternator.. I used to have voltage issues with two electric fans running at idle. which is what originally prompted me to play around with the fan settings...

then, since I don't' have a/c.. I use the a/c control wire with a toggle switch to force the fans on when I want them.. (like sitting in the staging lanes at the track, and I dont' want the engine at 190F when I'm getting ready to make a pass!)
That would be pretty cool to see a picture of that

But to finalize the question in the first post, I have fixed the entire issue. Once I got an ignition coil, plugged it in and I could tell just by the clean startup and sound at idle that it was done. I got the timing light out and got it timed first, then I started checking all the plug wires and every single one of the didn't miss a beat. As usual thanks for everyone's input. ( but really I'd like to see a diagram/picture of how you have your fans setup.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.