Misfire at idle/acceleration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Misfire at idle/acceleration

Still trying to figure out whats going on here. Originally when I timed it by ear it ran great, never had a problem with it, except it would get a little hot. Finally found a timing light and noticed I was at least at 15* Initial.
So I set it down to about 8, and played around with it a while. Now its at 10*. Well ever since then I have had a hard misfire on acceleration, and when Its warmed up you notice a misfire at idle. One night I got home late and just started tinkering and saw the wires arcing. So I replaced those, checked the gaps, and cleaned up the plugs with some sandpaper. Its a little better now, but still have that annoying misfire. I cleaned out the filter just before the carb and the filter after the tank has been replaced within the passed 2 years, so i dont think that fuel should be the issue.

I know the plugs are in the right order, checked about a dozen times. Also when Im cruising down the street regardless of what speed im at (15 or 50) it cruises perfect. Im not sure if I may have weakend some of the springs in the dizzy with it being that advanced initially? I have no clue.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

miss

if u are talking about the '91 engine... thats out of my field, i don't play with newer motors... but i don't see where u could damage the dizzy springs no matter want u did, unless u were play'n around with them..
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
if u are talking about the '91 engine... thats out of my field, i don't play with newer motors... but i don't see where u could damage the dizzy springs no matter want u did, unless u were play'n around with them..

I probably should have specified. The block is from a GEN II SBC. All Carb

And I havent ever messed with the springs in the dizzy, honestly I was just kinda dreaming that one up haha
Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 PM

It sounds to me like you ought to go back to 15* advance at idle. Double check to make sure that TDC on your balancer matches up with TDC in your #1 cylinder. Then, limit your total to 34, 36 . . . whatever is appropriate for your motor. You didn't post much about the engine . . .other than that it's a Gen II carb'ed motor. Is it stock?

Pat
Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
It sounds to me like you ought to go back to 15* advance at idle. Double check to make sure that TDC on your balancer matches up with TDC in your #1 cylinder. Then, limit your total to 34, 36 . . . whatever is appropriate for your motor. You didn't post much about the engine . . .other than that it's a Gen II carb'ed motor. Is it stock?

Pat

Okay, I just figured with that much advance that it wasnt really healthy for it, but thats only because Iv seen people always say to keep it around the 8-12 range. Other than that if its okay thats what im gonna try. (I will say I enjoy the comfort zone of it staying a little cooler) but that miss annoys the crap out of me.

And yes the motor is pretty much bone stock 350. Only difference is a Performer Intake, 600 Holley, and the HEI.

I can say that when I bumped the timing back up to where it is now, it did run better, so maybe if I just take it back up to where it was, all will be okay? < more wishful thinking.

I will try this and stay posted. If anyone else has any advice keep it comming. Thanks!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Well, went out there yesterday, and timed it by ear again like I had done in the beginning. Runs like a dream. Never knew that by putting it that advanced would fix the problem. I assumed that that much initial advance could only cause me problems. Oh well. Now on to the rear intake seal that everyone always told me not to use the rubber seal and just silicone it. Should've listened haha. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.