missing cab receptacles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

missing cab receptacles

Ok- this may be more of an interior question, sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Anyways- I ways trying to install a set of rear jump seats that I got from a parts truck into an s10 ( it's a V8 s10- so it's sorta like a hotrod). My problem is: the receptacles that are attached to the underside of the cab floor are missing. This wouldn't be a problem if they weren't the ones that are inside the double walled portion of the cab (inside the rear rocker panel-like area below the extended cab).

So, since I can't get to the bottom of the cab right there to hold a nut to run the seat mount bolt through- What's my best option??

Should I cut a small hole in the bottom of the cab so I can get an extension and socket and nut through? I'm kinda stuck- so any clever ideas would be very appreciated.

Thanks! And sorry for the long post...

Nooj

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Missing as in never installed? You might be able to use nutserts to do the job they are usually found at fastener supply stores.
http://www.aboveboardelectronics.com...nd/nutsert.htm
I think a similar item is called rivnuts. They go in something like a pop rivit.

If you go the drill the hole and use the socket through the hole route I would suggest drilling a pilot hole from the inside and then using a hole saw just large enough to get the socket through the hole from the bottom. It will make for a clean job and you can use a rubber plug to plug the hole. Watch for wires and lines of course.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

Thanks for the "nutsert" info- that may come in handy.

I believe cutting a hole through the bottom of the inner rocker area to get to the cab floor would be the only way to go. The receptacles appear to have been knocked off by the previous owner.... Why? I haven't a clue.

Anyway- thanks for the input. After some consideration, I may just end up tossing the jumpseats and fabbing up some speaker boxes to take their place. Might as well- it's not like anyone's gonna be sitting back there anyways.

Thanks again, Chopt~

Nooj
Old 04-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
Were there some sort of brackets or something that are missing? Most seats would have brackets that the nuts or studs were mounted to. As long as your seats don't have integral seat belts the nutserts are a good way to go. I have been using them for years in fabing and they are the cats meow.

If they have seat belts built into them, DO IT RIGHT and get the original set up from another truck. DON'T PLAY GAMES with seat belts.

Brian
Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies-
I have all the brackets and all. It's the "nuts" (for lack of a better word) mounted underneath the cab that the brackets bolt into that are missing. So, all I have is a hole in my floor, with no receptacle beneath it.

The jump seats do have integrated seat belts- but I believe I'm going to try my hand at some mdf/fiberglass fabrication and do some speaker enclosures instead of using the jump seats. I originally wanted to use them because I got an all matching interior from a donor vehicle, and I wanted it to look complete.

Thanks for the input. After looking at those nutserts again, I may just give them a try... I'm sure I'll find some kind of use for them- if not with this application

Nooj

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.