Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mitchell On-Demand?? Anyone??
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
We are thrilled with Alldata and use it every single day.
The problem with "just" getting information from youtube or something like that is there is no documentation. I don't know about your business but in the collision repair business documenting how the car was returned back to manufacturers specs is very important. I can print out the manufacturers guidelines for splicing in a B pillar which goes into the file. It is documented in the file that it was given to the tech (by name). That along with measurements, torque specs, we are using it more and more every day. And if they don't have what we need I send them a request and it's in my email in minutes!

It is all directly from the manufacturer and it MAKES US MONEY. It makes us money because it tells us things like where to splice an A pillar. That A pillar is only damaged at the bottom and years ago we would have spliced it in the middle of the A pillar. That is still done once in a while but often they say to go up to the center of the windshield pillar. So now we do exactly as it says and get a lot more labor for the job. It also has things that are a little goofy but again they make us money too. My boss was actually a little mad when I told him this yesterday because it is so over the top stupid. On removing and re-installing the bed on a 2010 Ford Ranger pickup the manufacturers guideline made it real clear, discard the bolts and use new ones. No kidding! So we did just that, I saw it, I read it and damn it I am going to do as it says and those bolts (and the nuts) were over $200! Again, kinda stupid to be replacing them, but when the manufacturers recommendations say it, there is no insurance company that is going to deny it, there was another $200 on the sale bata bing bata boom.

The funny part on that particular truck, there was no recommendations what so ever on welding on the new quarter panel bed side! But, I have documentation of that too.

Brian