Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mitchell On-Demand?? Anyone??
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mitchell/All-Data

I have used both systems & frankly both systems are severely limited, the illustrations often have the disclaimer " 4.6L engine similar to illustration" or some such drivel!
It seems just when your focusing in on the problem they come up short, don't have the information, flake off on the descriptions, or just leave you hanging.
The best of course is the good ol' book....you can't drag the computer screen onto the floorboards as your chasing down a ground problem, you can't scribble notes onto the screen as you find a typo in the text of the manual....you can't bend up the specific page to save your place for the next guy.
I don't know how you can collect manuals for a general shop, perhaps you buy a basic set and add to it as you go.....We had a general shop with a book collection that covered 90% of the info & it wasn't really that large a collection ....I see this online /disk system as a suppliment to books and NOT a replacement for books.
These books were some Factory manuals & some were aftermarket books .
Perhaps you could start with these systems & create a buy as you go basic book collection....remember you should limit your shop to a reasonable line of makes...No Jaguars or the like.....Despite the temptation those type marques can be a real can-o-worms to tackle.
Most techs seeing just these systems in a shop are very turned off at no books & hiring a true professional will be difficult.
__________________________________________________ _Rick...........