Mix Clear with Final Base coat prior to clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 10:13 PM
X711

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mix Clear with Final Base coat prior to clear

Hi guys, do any of you mix the clear with the final base coat for added
gloss depth prior to final clear coat.

What ratio should I use if its do-able. 1:1 or other. The products I use are
urethane based so I was thinking it may be ok to do this.

Comments,

Thanks ><

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 AM
Last photo:

I have heard of this being done, but I am too chicken to try it .

Vince
Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

The only time I mix a basecoat with a urethane topcoat clear is when I do jambs, and that's only sometimes dependant on what car and color and customer.

I wouln't do it on the exterior. Metalic control with base mixed in urethane clear isn't very good. Another option is to mix your base with an intercoat clear to make it more transparent.

Singlestage urethane colors can be mixed with urethane clears with no problem, and yes it adds depth.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:26 AM
X711

Last photo:

Bob is there any particular ratio to use, 1:1 or other.

Thanks ><
Old 04-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Follow the information on your product's "P" sheet. Some can be mixed with clear and some can't. If yours can be mixed it will give you the recommended ratio. If you don't check the "P" sheet to see if it's OK then it's a crap shoot and you could wind up repainting the entire car. It's up to you.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Nope, not unless I am unless I am using my touchup gun to spray base on something and am too lazy to clean it before clearing also with the touchup gun, then there may be a little bit of base color mixed in with the clear. Doesn't happen doing the exterior because I use too different guns to spray that. Well I did mix a small amount with the clear on one car and didn't notice any problems, but there was very little color compared to clear, no where near 1:1. Can't remember why I tried it, think it was something stupid like a few tiny white specks in various spots on the hood but metallic was layed out good, but running low on base and figured I would try putting on the first coat with some color mixed in with the clear. Poor metallic control, hmm don't remember that happening, but I doubt I put that coat on overly wet and probably went two different directions spraying. Everyone takes a gamble now and then I guess, but its best not to stray far from what is recommended in the sheets from the manufacturer, or like centerline said you may end up kicking yourself later.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Good advice given already.. I can attest that I have seen it done with black to see if it made a difference...Somewhere around the margin of 5 % already mixed base added to the already mixed clear and then re mixed together.. sprayed couple coats and top coated with 2 more coats of clear.... Really could not tell if it made a major difference or not... Kinda like SS black vs bc/cc black.. its up to the perception of the individual....

I do know painters that dont clean base out of their gun and come right behind the base and add in mixed clear.. by the second coat 95% or better would have been pulled out... They swear been doing it for decades now and never had any issue's...

Since I use 1 gun for base and 1 for clear, does not happen, unless like many of you I am using my mini gun.. then there is the chance of it...
Old 04-06-2006, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

PPG reps say it's Ok to 50/50 base color and clear for jambs and edges where eposure to UV won't be a problem. Only certain clears though. This is only to speed up production in collision repairs. I'd never do it on an exterior, and never on anything where quality is top priority. But yes, it is a suggested proceedure by PPG.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x711
Bob is there any particular ratio to use, 1:1 or other.

Thanks ><
If you're mixing basecoat with intercoat clear you can mix it in any ratio you want, it all depends on how transparent or thin of a mix you're after. Some paint companies call their intercoat clear a blending clear because that's primarily what the comanies designed the product for- to thin out the basecoat so it can be blended into the exhisting color easier. These blending/intercoat clears can also be applied over the basecoat to check for metalic layout and to provide a nice surface for taping stripes, two tones, etc... many uses.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 PM
X711

Last photo:

Thanks for the heads up guys and good info

><
Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Here's my take on this...it's an old lacquer trick that worked very well. For me I kept it to colors that were mostly tinted with transparent bases. Oxide bases don't really get any better, and bright reds tend to get "pink" looking, at least to me. How I did it was to add a qt of ready to spray color to a gallon of ready to spray clear. I'd use that up and add to my gallon as I went until the last application was all clear. But back in the lacquer days it required lots of mat'l to get it done as well as lots of solvent (200% in the clear!!). HOK has a formula for doing this with their line. No harm or foul there since they have one solvent for everything. Good luck with your choice.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.