Hot Rod Forum banner

Mixed Basecoat Life

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jcclark 
#1 ·
Does anyone know for sure how long DuPont's Chromabase will
last after mixing with their basemaker?
Can I store the mixed product for a few days and use it later?
It doesn't look to me like it's going bad.

#2 ·
JC, Good timing on that question as I was just thinking about asking the same thing yesterday when I threw away some silver Chroma Base that I will not need for a few days. I have enough unmixed to finish the job, a spoiler that has not arrived yet, but if I could have saved that for a couple of days I could have kept the fresh paint for possible later use.

#5 ·
Years mixed with urethane reducer for sure.

The exception to the rule IF there is one, (I'm not sure)
would be the Dupont because of the basemaker that is used instead of
urethane reducer. The Dupont basemaker is different than the Sherwin Williams and I don't know if it has a shelf life or not.

May be worth checking with Dupont.

#7 ·
This will help Jim get rid of the stuff.

Years ago had a friend as enamel was bitting the dust, took all the factory pack gallons in his store and mixed colors and rolled it on every wall inside his house. Like he said it will be forever!
Oh, they did have to move out for about 3-4 weeks because of smell.
He saved a lot of money Jim!

#8 ·
Am I bad for still having a gallon of lacquer from early 90's. Dealership I was working for was getting rid of all the Dupont lacquer on the banks and told me to dump it all, and I took a bunch of different colors, mostly the silvers, and threw them together in a gallon can, and kept it. Never used it and still have it. I still have a little bit of ppg grey green dp also that is many years old, but know that has chunks in it and I'll pitch it. Hard throwing money away isn't it. Got a little under 2 quarts of corvette grey dbu base, about 15 years old. That should still be good. The reactive reducer for it is toast though.

#13 ·
I asked my Dupont guy today and he said it will last a LOOOOOOOG time as long as the can's sealed good.
I can't believe you guy's are "rubbing the genie lamp"
He was a laugh but I don't miss him.Well,Maybe a little. :rolleyes:
It was a kick trying to figure out exactly what he was typing.
jc was about the only member who could speak Paint Techbonics.

jc, You got a crack pipe hid out in the shop someplace? :mwink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.