Mixing Clears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Rookie of the year

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mixing Clears

Hello to all,

I know there are allot of professionals here, so this is why I am posting this thread. What would happen if you were to mix different clears together in one jug and use it that way?? I have several different brand clears, but not enough to do my next project and wondered what would happen if I just put them all together?? I would rather have the ease of doing that instead of running out of clear on one panel and then mixing up another one until I run out etc. I am sure most of you have never done this, as I know different clears have different resins etc...Just wondered what the outcome would be.

I thought it may look fine at first, but as time progressed in the sun it cause some type of issue??

Is there anyone that would know chemically if it would work at all???

Thanks for helping out.

PimpJuice

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Very bad idea.

But lets assume the clears were from the same company and lets go one step further and make the statement that that company used the same core
resins in the clears. This would be in our favor.

It would still be a big risk, would it work? Well it would spray OK and also dry within reason but even with all the above odds in our favor you would have a very high risk of popping, die-back, poor chemical resistance and even the chance of splitting as the clear cured.

This is not even taking into account the different ISO levels for each clear so if it is under catalyzed it will never cure out 100% and if over catalyzed the clear will be brittle.

In other words, never.

Last edited by BarryK; 09-02-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:46 AM
Rookie of the year

Last photo:

Mr. Barryk Thankyou very much for your help.
I will not make this mistake

PimpJuice
Old 09-03-2005, 07:15 AM

i have mixed clears before , but they were all the same brand, i painted a bmw, not long ago, i had three different clears, i was using u-tech clear, i mixed high solid, spot clear and a mid solid clear, all u-tech,it was on my own car so i was taking a chance, well i will tell you ,it came out slicker and nicer than i had expected.i know i was risking it, but at the time i had no choice, i wouldnt recommend doing this, hope this helps?? mike.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:29 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

best bet would be to use the clears sepereatly on the vehical

if your doing a complete paint including door / fender / trunk jams, prep everything and see how many COMPLETE jambs you can do with clear "a" , set those aside and then mix up clear "b" and finish the rest of the jambs

again, dont mix the clears , so dont do 1/2 a jamb w/ "a" and finish it with "b"

orr if your only doing an extrerior paint job, pull the bumpers off and use one of the clears on them, then get enough clear for the rest of the car

if the roof has seams between it and the rest of the car, do the roof seperate with one of the clears you have, then go back later and dor the rest of the car

its always nice to be able to do the roof seperate if possible
Old 09-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Rookie of the year

Last photo:

If I were to use the clears on different panels wouldnt it make a difference in the gloss etc. from one panel to another?? That was the reason for me wanting to mix them. I think Mr. Barry would not approve of this method either. LowRoller I appreciate your post, and I too thought of what you have said, I just dont want my car to be shiny on one panel and duller on another. Do you think all panels could be buffed to match?

PimpJuice
Old 09-03-2005, 07:55 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

PJ, Jim and I were discussing this yesterday.. I think you run the chance of having different glosses on the panels.. That is my opinion.. I have used some clears that seem to be allot shinier than others.. One in particular blew me away the first time I sprayed it... I have not used that clear in a long time, but if I had shot one panel with it and the one beside it with another one, it would have not matched.. You also have to be concerned with how it cures.. As it cures it may die back, one clear different from another and one may not die back at all... Now your project is really looking like a funky chicken... I dont know the answer..

Now when you do repairs on cars you are using a different clear than what the factory put on it, but you are also blending to match etc... and you are more than likely buffing an existing panel to match gloss/luster etc...

Make a test panel.. Spray some color, then spray your different clears on different sections and see how it looks in a day or two... If they all look the same.... you be the judge... Set them out in the sun after it gasses off overnight and that will also help to see what the sun does to each one

BK
Old 09-03-2005, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Re the U-tech, I know this product inside and out (before Sikken Bought them)

That was a big risk mixing 421. and MS and HS. Mixing the MS and HS would have been less risk.

If you ever do this, than do it this way. (I'm against it!)

Mix each clear with its own activator separately, than mixed the clears together and mix very well. Let set for 10-15 minutes and mix very well again, than go for it. OH, hope for the best.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK

Mix each clear with its own activator separately, than mixed the clears together and mix very well. Let set for 10-15 minutes and mix very well again, than go for it. OH, hope for the best.

I've done this a few times when running out of product years ago (Late night paint job). I remember mixing a partial batch of Dupont's old 7600 clear and also batch of 7500 clear then mixed them both together, both products were out of the Chroma line but used different hardeners, it worked but my fingers were crossed and I wouldn't recomend doing it on a regular basis.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Rookie of the year

Last photo:

I will not do this then. I was looking at mixing 3 different brands
A spi poly,ppg 2002 concept,and some off brand i bought from smartshoppersinc called American Finishes I think. Thanks for the heads up guys.

PimpJuice
Old 09-03-2005, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I am sure barry would love you mixing spi with the other two clears. I've been tempted to do it before, but never did knowing it would likely lead to more work and risking reputation. I would make sure it was my own car if attemting something like that. Although some companys use the somewhat the same activator through out there product line. I've already used marhyde primer activator in there universal clear and it cured, but the mix ratio was the same and only was done on a small part that would be easy to fix if it failed. Its too bad the prices on paint are so high these days that people want to do stuff like this.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:36 PM

i too have used 2k primer activator in a clear before, late night trying to finsih a bumper cover , had no clear activator, i had enough clear for bumper cover and only some 5 star 2k primer activator. took the chance and heck it worked fine, i am not recommending anyone do this but, it has been done with exceptional results??, mike.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Rookie of the year

Last photo:

I have a local shop I can visit Tuesday and the sell something called Gen -Tech. Is that a good clear Mr. Barry? I know a guy who uses it in his bodyshop. They also sell some Euro clears, one in a black 5 litre jug with a picture of the world on it I think. I dont remember the name of it, but the owner likened it to Sikkens clear.

Does anyone know of either of these clears?

PimpJuice
Old 09-03-2005, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpJuice
I have a local shop I can visit Tuesday and the sell something called Gen -Tech. Is that a good clear Mr. Barry? PimpJuice
Yes, I know the company.
I really cannot comment on this.
Maybe other people have had experience with the clear.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Rookie of the year

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
Yes, I know the company.
I really cannot comment on this.
Maybe other people have had experience with the clear.
Anyone?

PimpJuice

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.