Mixing paint brands - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mixing paint brands

Here's the situation. I've tried twice now to paint my car with Nason metallic bc/cc. Both times I got stripping and the second time I also got molting. I never cleared the second base coat except for one panel to see if the problem would magically disappear under a clear coat. It didn't so now I've scuffed down the Base coat and I'm going to re-prime and repaint again. I've still got a gallon of Value-pro P330-1200 epoxy primer so I want to use that, and I've still got a gallon and 1/2 of Nason 497-00 clear so would like to use that as well. Question: Since I'm having bad luck and or poor skill results with Nason paint, should I/can I, change to a different brand of paint and use the primer and clear I have? Second question: I've got about 9 or 10 coats total on it now an am looking at adding another 6 or 7. Is that to much in total?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Last photo:

I doubt very seriously that it's the paints fault, more than likely application error. Striping is usually caused by too much material delivery or not enough overlap. I would develop a good technique first that solves the problems you are having before switching to another brand that will likely give you the same results.

9 or 10 coats is way too much and to add on top of that is just asking for more trouble.

Vince
Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

9 or 10 way to much? 3 of each coat maybe more on the clear depends on how he mixed it when i clear bike tins i put on bout 5 or 6 coats
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

The wisdom of the eighties was that you never shoot more than three paint jobs, before stripping. Todays BC/CC is thicker... but tougher paint.

You decide what is too much risk.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. I'll do some sanding this week/weekend and remove a few layers of paint before I try it again.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

take advantage of all that material build and use a big old sanding block and long sanding strokes loaded with 80 grit and get the panels dead flat or close to it, then you can hit it with the surfacer and block it down all the way to 600 grit. I am assuming you're spraying a metallic base, open up your pattern, turn up your pressure a little bit and make certain to overlap half each pass. Each successive coat of base needs to be at a 45 degree angle to the prior one. Three coats should get you there. Then give it a fog coat, tighten up your pattern and pull the gun back and fog the car, it'll help cover most any mottling. Don't touch the base with anything more aggressive than a tack cloth before spraying it with clear.

Good luck on the project. BTW: What is it? I'm assuming a Buick of some sort.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Nason Ful-base is a low end paint and I use a lot of it...many painters wont use it..Its a little tough to get the hang of,but when you get it you cant tell the finished look from the better more expensive bases. normally I'd say just get some chroma base ,thats much easier to use but since you have a bunch keep trying ....the trick is good over laps 75% and fog coats ...I also think you might be spraying it to wet,its not supposed to look like SS going on,its more of a semi shine. Depending on what your painting I dont think I'd strip it all off just yet...but you are getting close...
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

Thanks blown34, It's a 36 Buick coupe, not a straight panel on it, so It's tough to sand with a big sanding block. I wasn't thinking if sanding it all off DBM, Just 2 or 3 layers. Thanks guys.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Make up a small sanding block or two from cut down stir sticks or pieces of aluminum from the local metal shop. Be creative with block materials and you can get some great results with everyday stuff for blocks. A piece of hose wrapped in sanding paper works well on curved surfaces.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.