mixing race gas and pump gas??. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mixing race gas and pump gas??.

Is there Federal laws that cover street driven vehicles from mixing race leaded gas with pump gas??. I do remember the big thing that came out with kerosene and diesel fuel afew yrs ago.Some paid heavy fines and jail time.

I don't know because we don't build engines that have that requirement.We build either street engines or race engines,so I never had to deal with that issue.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Im sure if the vehicle in question originally came with emissions and required unleaded gas they could possibly try to make a federal case out of it. If its an earlier pre-emission vehicle i'd say your probably ok, but all states are probably different on their view of this matter, especially in todays reasoning, so its likely a grey area at best.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Heavy trucks are tested from time to time so guys get caught with high sulfur fuel from time to time..We don't get tested for fuel content in our daily drivers so one may get away with it. My question is why? But then again I focus on having my engine built for a design fuel for the intended purpose so a street car gets an engine built from the get go to run on what I can buy at the local gas station. Now a race motor is another deal entirely..

Just my opinion it would be darned inconvenient to need to mix my own fuel to get to the hamburger stand car show..

Sam
Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

leaded fuel is illegal in all 50 states for highway use.. period..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

The Feds and the state want the road TAX money. Not charged on race gas. You drive on the street, you gotta pay the man!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
The Feds and the state want the road TAX money. Not charged on race gas. You drive on the street, you gotta pay the man!
BINGO. This is why off-road diesel is dyed a different color - there's no road tax on off-road fuels. Realistically there's about zero chance that you'd get caught for this, since the focus is on large diesel trucks. I'm not aware of any car that ever got tested for off-road gasoline.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Is there Federal laws that cover street driven vehicles from mixing race leaded gas with pump gas??. I do remember the big thing that came out with kerosene and diesel fuel afew yrs ago.Some paid heavy fines and jail time.

I don't know because we don't build engines that have that requirement.We build either street engines or race engines,so I never had to deal with that issue.
Kind of like moonshine, no highway tax on it so it's illegal, if you got caught which is remote. In Washington state we went through a big row over using boat gas in street vehicles as well. Hard to catch but if it happens to you it's a really big hiccup in your life.

From a technical point race gas usually, but not always, is a leaded fuel, if you burn that in something that has a catalytic converter, the converter will be at a minimum rendered useless and at most that plus plugged up. Of course for that reason leaded fuel in a vehicle using a converter that would be 1974 to present will also get you into trouble if a authorities happen to look. So far we're not like some Canadian locals and Europe in general where they can pull you over and check out the emissions just like you were gonna git a speeding ticket, which you might also get.

Bogie
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

I don't know for sure what the entire reading of the law is? I can go to the Sunoco station here and pump it right into my tank 110 leaded but the nozzle is bigger! There just aren't many stations that install new or kept the leaded pumps because not many people buy the leaded any more! But they do sell lead and lead substitute additives for people to use that cant get to a pump! I'm in farm country and many old farm tractors use and buy lower octane leaded fuel from suppliers for their own home pumps! In 1989, when the use of lead was limited but not banned, the leaded pumps started disappearing. EPA banned the use of leaded gasoline for highway transportation vehicles in 1996, But it can be bought from stations that have the leaded pumps leaded gasoline still is produced in the U.S. and is being used in non highway vehicles-- primarily as aviation fuel, but also in farm machinery and race cars and for antique and classic cars that are grandfathered in if a station has a pump near you! Some stations will only sell it to you in gas cans you bring to the pump! I don't know about all 50 states?

I think what's illegal is? selling leaded gas at the pumps, for every day transportation vehicles designed for lead free fuels built since 1974! The leaded pumps are separated and all set back and away from the unleaded pump island too.

I have hardened seats and still run leaded high octane gas in my race and high compression street engines.

If I cant find a pump in a pinch I use Octane Supreme 130 (Tetraethyl Lead) but at one quart to 2 gallons of gas (raises it 16 octane) that's over $14.00 a gallon and still isn't 110 octane!!! Buy a pump and tank and have it delivered to your home LOL Or use the Octane Supreme 130 , 6 quart case is $110.00 1 quart is $21.00 very expensive and illegal in a couple of states!!!!!!

At the Sunoco leaded 110 at the pump today its $6.75 a Gallon

And that store bought octane boosters in the auto departments are a joke!! If I must run un leaded premium pump gas on a trip I retard my timing to compensate and just drive like a normal old man getting grocery's LOL

Jester
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

By my way of thinking,I'm guessing in Calli they do have the ability to road side check you.And no one ever thinks with their hot rod being hit in a minor fender bender would lead to those checks.Cops just love when the door gets opened like that in a accident.It's in cases like that guys get caught with nitrous tanks hooked up then have to deal with D.O.T. and the whole parade of agencies after.Surely cops don't normally pull people over to check for tanks either.

I asked these because I wasn't sure.It didn't make sense you could just willy/nilly just play around with your fuel legally.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
I don't know for sure what the entire reading of the law is? I can go to the Sunoco station here and pump it right into my tank 110 leaded but the nozzle is bigger! There just aren't many stations that install new or kept the leaded pumps because not many people buy the leaded any more! But they do sell lead and lead substitute additives for people to use that cant get to a pump! I'm in farm country and many old farm tractors use and buy lower octane leaded fuel from suppliers for their own home pumps! In 1989, when the use of lead was limited but not banned, the leaded pumps started disappearing. EPA banned the use of leaded gasoline for highway transportation vehicles in 1996, But it can be bought from stations that have the leaded pumps leaded gasoline still is produced in the U.S. and is being used in non highway vehicles-- primarily as aviation fuel, but also in farm machinery and race cars and for antique and classic cars that are grandfathered in if a station has a pump near you! Some stations will only sell it to you in gas cans you bring to the pump! I don't know about all 50 states?

I think what's illegal is? selling leaded gas at the pumps, for every day transportation vehicles designed for lead free fuels built since 1974! The leaded pumps are separated and all set back and away from the unleaded pump island too.

I have hardened seats and still run leaded high octane gas in my race and high compression street engines.

If I cant find a pump in a pinch I use Octane Supreme 130 (Tetraethyl Lead) but at one quart to 2 gallons of gas (raises it 16 octane) that's over $14.00 a gallon and still isn't 110 octane!!! Buy a pump and tank and have it delivered to your home LOL Or use the Octane Supreme 130 , 6 quart case is $110.00 1 quart is $21.00 very expensive and illegal in a couple of states!!!!!!

At the Sunoco leaded 110 at the pump today its $6.75 a Gallon

And that store bought octane boosters in the auto departments are a joke!! If I must run un leaded premium pump gas on a trip I retard my timing to compensate and just drive like a normal old man getting grocery's LOL

Jester
Jester-we passed each other posting at the same time.Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

mixing race gas and pump gas??

I am able to purchase 104 Octane gas in Sacramento at the station at El Camino and Watt Ave. Not cheap but man it does make a huge difference in a non computer 261 Chevy six with triple carbs, and HEI, headers and a cam. The fuel mileage even increases by about 5%. I used to order it in that rating through a local Performance Auto Parts house in the same area. The shipping and handling costs were not cheap either.
Normbc9

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.