Hot Rod Forum banner

MMM help maybe?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Henry Highrise 
#1 ·
I have a 1970 nova 8.5 rear end I want a spool.summit sells one for 90 bucks descent price though they say I need a clip eliminator kit with it though. Im not running high horse power here my axels arent flyin out of their casings. Do I really need this kit to make it work or can I make it work without. If anybody has some ideas that would be sweet.

#2 ·
question why a spool, not a good set up for street, if that is your driving. The spool may not be designed to use the axle that have the C clips. What about a posi unit, that will give you the best of both worlds and would be for all practical purposes a direct bolt in, just offering up another idea for you to think about....

#3 ·
Im cheap

I rarely drive it just on the weekends and I like the price of a spool posi after bearings seals the diff and shipping your looking at 650 bucks. Im not sure if the spool requires the slip eliminator kit or not I think they just want to sell you another part, granted it has to be replaced if I officially started to drag and be legal, Im not going to though just want a fun runner for the weekend. I replace the tires to often anyway to worry about extra tire wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.