Model A axle ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Model A axle ?

Hi, Would it be safe to use a model A front axle on a car with a V8? I am new to hot rod cars I have been into Bikes and just picked up a model A. I feel like a kid were everything is new and learning is fun!
Thanks,
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Probably - and that's a conditional maybe.

Is it bent, have cracks, badly pitted, have wallowed out king pin bosses? and this is just to name a few problems.

Personally, and of course my opinion I wouldn't use an 80 or so year old front axle with as many good aftermarket versions ready to bolt in place with something better then the original wish bone suspension, even modified which may have its' own set of problems. Then you can easily update the stopping power to decent brakes

Why not update the suspension(and brakes), pulling the worn OEM stuff and sell it to a restorer who will drive his car at 45 mph with 40 horsepower.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

model A parts

I have a Model A axle, wish bones brakes etc that was put under a trailer years ago. It.s in good shape. It go little use. I have been thinking about using it under a rat rod. Speedway sells a spacer kit to adapt 40's drum brakes to the A , you can use that kit, then the kit to put disc brakes on a 40's Ford, to have Disc s on the A. But if it's as deuce describes, bent worn pitted It's not worth fixing. Back in the day there were a lot of A V8's built using the A parts. My A V8 was changed to use a 40's axle and drum brakes. Ford 8 in rear.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Probably - and that's a conditional maybe.

Is it bent, have cracks, badly pitted, have wallowed out king pin bosses? and this is just to name a few problems.

Personally, and of course my opinion I wouldn't use an 80 or so year old front axle with as many good aftermarket versions ready to bolt in place with something better then the original wish bone suspension, even modified which may have its' own set of problems. Then you can easily update the stopping power to decent brakes

Why not update the suspension(and brakes), pulling the worn OEM stuff and sell it to a restorer who will drive his car at 45 mph with 40 horsepower.
Thanks that's the kinda of info I was looking for you make good points. I just wasn't sure if the OEM was ..."the way to go" this one is on ebay for 200.00 so I can't even get a look at it so I will forget about it.
Thanks again!
Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I have a Model A axle, wish bones brakes etc that was put under a trailer years ago. It.s in good shape. It go little use. I have been thinking about using it under a rat rod. Speedway sells a spacer kit to adapt 40's drum brakes to the A , you can use that kit, then the kit to put disc brakes on a 40's Ford, to have Disc s on the A. But if it's as deuce describes, bent worn pitted It's not worth fixing. Back in the day there were a lot of A V8's built using the A parts. My A V8 was changed to use a 40's axle and drum brakes. Ford 8 in rear.
Thanks for the info The one I was looking at is on ebay so I can't look at it.
Again thanks,
David
Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

too much.

I paid $ 50 for mine, axle , brakes, spring, wishbone.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave55
Thanks that's the kinda of info I was looking for you make good points. I just wasn't sure if the OEM was ..."the way to go" this one is on ebay for 200.00 so I can't even get a look at it so I will forget about it.
Thanks again!
Dave
An original model a axle even in good condition is not worth $200, not even $100... if you are building a rod buy a new forged dropped axle. Costs under $300.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.